Wanted: New Dreamcast Live Host

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Wanted: New Dreamcast Live Host

Post#21 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 am

Sounds good Jako. Just waiting for tmjwid to confirm that he's able to play all the games online and then we can iron out the details.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

tmjwid
Anarki

Post#22 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm going to try pso v1 (v2 is in the post and should be here for Thursday) quake, next tetris and toy racer tonight. Is starlancer, 4x4 and maximum pool still played?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

tmjwid
Anarki

Post#23 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Right so Q3 works a treat, went onto Zappy's server and got done by a bot.

On a side note, where are the dctalk servers located? They have the best connection for me but the speed is just green. I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to host some eu servers for eu Q3. I have a beefy dedicated server in france that is pretty much just a dev box for me, it doesn't really do much so I can host about 2/4 servers maybe?

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#24 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi!!!

I think that here the sense of "host" is not literally for all the games, ie:

-Chuchurocket, Quake 3, PSO, Next Tetris, planet ring... have their own server with their rooms, no need to host, users finds other users and... lets play! (in a tournament or event that could be different with some rules or timing i think). DreamPi do the job of redirect to the correct server in most cases, no extra config for the user.

-But in 4x4 evo and Starlancer (maybe, im not sure the last one), doesn't have the original server running or redirected to a diferent DNS (like DreamPi and ChuChuRocket), in that case, the Host have to create a Match/room for the other players, and give the public ip to them to aim to your Dreamcast.

Is that the main job?
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#25 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:27 pm

tmjwid wrote:Is starlancer, 4x4 and maximum pool still played?

Yup, we play all the games except for Planet Ring which is a bit too buggy. Jonas Karlsson is working on new server software which seems more stable, so once that goes live I may re-add it to the rotation. Starlancer and the other GameSpy games (Tetris and PBA Bowling) are probably the most important ones to test since they're the ones people have the most issues with.

tmjwid wrote:On a side note, where are the dctalk servers located? They have the best connection for me but the speed is just green. I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to host some eu servers for eu Q3.

The DC-Talk server is hosted in the US. You could host one for Europe if you wanted but I expect you'll see a mix of players from Europe and the US joining. Some players will have a worse ping either way.

Jako wrote:But in 4x4 evo and Starlancer (maybe, im not sure the last one), doesn't have the original server running or redirected to a diferent DNS (like DreamPi and ChuChuRocket), in that case, the Host have to create a Match/room for the other players, and give the public ip to them to aim to your Dreamcast.

Is that the main job?

Both Starlancer and 4x4 allow you to create rooms. No need to give out an IP address unless someone can't see the list of rooms.
PSO Characters:

tmjwid
Anarki

Re: RE: Re: Wanted: New Dreamcast Live Host

Post#26 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:[quote="tmjwid"]Is starlancer, 4x4 and maximum pool still played?

Yup, we play all the games except for Planet Ring which is a bit too buggy. Jonas Karlsson is working on new server software which seems more stable, so once that goes live I may re-add it to the rotation. Starlancer and the other GameSpy games (Tetris and PBA Bowling) are probably the most important ones to test since they're the ones people have the most issues with.

[quote="tmjwid"]On a side note, where are the dctalk servers located? They have the best connection for me but the speed is just green. I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to host some eu servers for eu Q3.[/quote]

The DC-Talk server is hosted in the US. You could host one for Europe if you wanted but I expect you'll see a mix of players from Europe and the US joining. Some players will have a worse ping either way.

[quote="Jako"]But in 4x4 evo and Starlancer (maybe, im not sure the last one), doesn't have the original server running or redirected to a diferent DNS (like DreamPi and ChuChuRocket), in that case, the Host have to create a Match/room for the other players, and give the public ip to them to aim to your Dreamcast.

Is that the main job?[/quote]

Both Starlancer and 4x4 allow you to create rooms. No need to give out an IP address unless someone can't see the list of rooms.[/quote]
Okay sweet, I'll get them tested tonight hopefully. Couldn't test them all last night but hopefully tonight should be okay.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#27 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 am

tmjwid wrote:Okay sweet, I'll get them tested tonight hopefully. Couldn't test them all last night but hopefully tonight should be okay.

Make sure you test the GameSpy games with another player. Most people can connect no problem but starting an actual game is where the problem arises. If you can't find anyone to test them with, I can probably help you out on Friday.
PSO Characters:

tmjwid
Anarki

Post#28 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Make sure you test the GameSpy games with another player. Most people can connect no problem but starting an actual game is where the problem arises. If you can't find anyone to test them with, I can probably help you out on Friday.

Okay so I tried 4x4 and PBA. 4x4 connected okay, but I was unable to join the dctalk master list but was able to join the other avaiable one. My dc is in the dmz on my router, so I'm kinda of at a loss with this.

PBA booted, but went back to the dreamcast system menu when trying to get to the game menu. I'll burn another copy tomorrow on some different disks. I'll also be getting my keyboard and PSOv2 tomorrow.

WIll keep you posted on the different games, sorry this is taking so long!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#29 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:29 pm

tmjwid wrote:Okay so I tried 4x4 and PBA. 4x4 connected okay, but I was unable to join the dctalk master list but was able to join the other avaiable one. My dc is in the dmz on my router, so I'm kinda of at a loss with this.

Yeah, the DC-Talk 4x4 server hasn't been working for a long time now so that's not on your end.

tmjwid wrote:WIll keep you posted on the different games, sorry this is taking so long!

No problem! Thanks! :)
PSO Characters:

tmjwid
Anarki

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Wanted: New Dreamcast Live Host

Post#30 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:[quote="tmjwid"]Okay so I tried 4x4 and PBA. 4x4 connected okay, but I was unable to join the dctalk master list but was able to join the other avaiable one. My dc is in the dmz on my router, so I'm kinda of at a loss with this.

Yeah, the DC-Talk 4x4 server hasn't been working for a long time now so that's not on your end.

[quote="tmjwid"]WIll keep you posted on the different games, sorry this is taking so long![/quote]

No problem! Thanks! :)[/quote]
Okay so psov2 worked perfectly and my keyboard also seems to work.

I'll try the rest of the games tonight and I'll be online as well to play some games

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk