How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
User avatar
Xiden
Resident Evil
Posts: 1767

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#51 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:29 am

AndehX wrote:Got everything set up and it all works perfectly. Forgotten what Quake was like with lag :lol:

Built the voltage inducer into a neat little box, using an 18v DC adapter (multimeter tested it at 24v but w/e)
2016-08-08 15.23.32.jpg


Pretty sweet man. Now if you can figure out how to make that into a usb cable to draw power from the pi instead of an A/C adapter that would be even more amazing :) I would totally buy something like that from u if u did.

AndehX
shadow
Posts: 14

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#52 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:57 am

That wouldn't work. The Pi can probably only put out a few volts through USB. My modem required 18v which is nearly 4 times more than any USB port can provide. So its either a DC adapter, or 2 9v batteries. Those are the only options :/

User avatar
Xiden
Resident Evil
Posts: 1767

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#53 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 am

AndehX wrote:That wouldn't work. The Pi can probably only put out a few volts through USB. My modem required 18v which is nearly 4 times more than any USB port can provide. So its either a DC adapter, or 2 9v batteries. Those are the only options :/


What about for USA Modems? Would using two or more USB ports double the power?

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 6061
Contact:

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#54 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:04 am

Xiden wrote:What about for USA Modems? Would using two or more USB ports double the power?


In theory a Y split USB cable might work because that would give you 10v total and you only need 9v for a US modem. I actually just ordered one today in order to try it. I'll post here with the results after I try it.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

User avatar
TacT
Uber
Posts: 1053

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#55 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:33 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Xiden wrote:What about for USA Modems? Would using two or more USB ports double the power?


In theory a Y split USB cable might work because that would give you 10v total and you only need 9v for a US modem. I actually just ordered one today in order to try it. I'll post here with the results after I try it.


2 usb ports are from the same 5v supply, its still only 5v lol I wouldn't go wiring around your usb ports together might short something out.
you need to make step-up circuit to make 5v into 9-18v. That's what kazade was making apparently.
Image
Image


it's still thinking.

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 6061
Contact:

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#56 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 am

TacT wrote:2 usb ports are from the same 5v supply, its still only 5v lol I wouldn't go wiring around your usb ports together might short something out.


I'm using the same y-split USB cable that you would get with a lot of external DVD drives. They're used because the DVD drive usually needs more power than what a single USB port can provide. It works on PCs but you might be right about it not working on the Pi because it's only powered by a 5v power supply. It really depends on if the USB ports provide 5v each or if they share 5v. The Pi itself may step up the voltage to get 5v to both USB ports. The only way to know for sure is to try it out. I know it won't hurt anything.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

AndehX
shadow
Posts: 14

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#57 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:35 pm

you could always plug your Y splitter cable in, and then test it with a multimeter to see if you get 5v or 10v

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 6061
Contact:

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#58 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:49 pm

AndehX wrote:you could always plug your Y splitter cable in, and then test it with a multimeter to see if you get 5v or 10v


That's the plan. :)
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 6061
Contact:

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#59 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:50 am

Well this was a failed experiment. :lol: The voltage is not increased by using the y-split USB cable, only the amperage. Ah well, at least we know this isn't an option now.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Pandasdreamcast
noob
Posts: 1

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#60 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Will this work using a laptop and WiFi (I do not hAve access to my modem).
?

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Online”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users