How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#21 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:37 am

TacT wrote:man i was just going to order parts to make some for my friends and others out there too lol . One that plugs in so we don't waste so many batteries. Half the time I see people get on quake they need a new battery and have to run out to buy another one lol what a hassle.

Technically if you wanted to, you could order something like this to use with it. The basic line voltage inducer is there and you can power if however you like. :)

If there's enough interest, I could actually make 9v AC adapters with snap connectors for cheaper. It would probably be about $6 extra.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#22 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Just built a proof-of-concept AC adapter for line voltage inducers. Plugs right into the battery connector so you can use either or. Interestingly the AC adapter is only 6v and it works perfectly. I'm wondering if I can make one that works with the 5v from a USB port. I know it won't work on PAL modems because they require over 9v but it may work on NTSC-U modems. Just need to find a spare USB cable that I can cut up.

Update: Found a USB cable to try it with and unfortunately it's not enough voltage. Go figure. 6 volts is apparently the bare minimum. :(

Update 2: I've added the AC adapter to the Dreamcast Live Shop. It's $6 extra and ships free with the line voltage inducer. I don't have the parts to make it one on hand (unless you want the prototype) so let me know if you intend on ordering one and I'll get the parts for it.

EZGNRZ8A.jpg large.jpg
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#23 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:43 am

Here's the final version of the AC adapter. Looks a lot nicer now. :)

Line Voltage AC Adapter.jpg
PSO Characters:

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Looks great!

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#25 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:57 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Here's the final version of the AC adapter. Looks a lot nicer now. :)

I can't wait to see the final product in my hands.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

bighouse3333
noob

Post#26 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I just wanted to say that I bought a line voltage inducer from pcwzrd13 and he shipped it very quickly.

I purchased a brand new raspberry pi 3 (have never owned a pi) and followed the video tutorial posted on the first page and was up and running in not much more time than the length of the video. Raspberry pi came right from the box, and my Dreamcast hadn't been turned on (much less plugged in) in ages.

Probably the easiest and quickest setup I've ever had when working with new and unfamiliar equipment. Definitely worth the investment. Now wondering if I should get the AC, although I've yet to see how long the battery will last.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#27 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:00 pm

bighouse3333 wrote:Now wondering if I should get the AC, although I've yet to see how long the battery will last.

I'm currently in the process of testing how long the battery lasts. Still on the first one at the moment and I've played for maybe 6 hours so far. I'll post the final results here when it dies.

Thanks for the testimonial BTW! :D
PSO Characters:

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#28 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:31 am

Is the guy who was making these on ebay still producing? I wouldnt mind paying a bit more to just get one in the mail

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: RE: Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#29 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:35 am

Nico0020 wrote:Is the guy who was making these on ebay still producing? I wouldnt mind paying a bit more to just get one in the mail

Im afraid not. I talked to the guy recently and he said something about his job cutting in into his free time to make these premade dreampi units.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#30 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 am

Damn. I loved the case and metalic DC swirl on it. Anyone know which case he was using?