Unreal Tournament Petition

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Radkin
PSOaholic

Re: Unreal Tournament Petition

Post#11 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Whe I get the chance, I will sign it too!
Would you mind posting the link up here? :wink:
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

xl2k5
rebel

Post#12 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

The link is http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/UTDCOnline/

I did some research, but couldn't find Unreal Tournament patch v402. Anyone could try to look for it? I know that the latest servers are supposed to be able to work with older versions, but I won't risk wasting time and will use an older version, unless someone can find version 404 which wasn't released as far as I know.

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#13 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:27 pm

I signed it! Thank you for the link! Hopefully
it will get online sometime in the near future.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

Doom27
MegaDeath

Post#14 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:59 pm

What version is the dreamcast? Like Quake 3 is v1.16n

xl2k5
rebel

Post#15 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Dc's version seems to be v404, at least according to the files on the GD-Rom. But then it could be a different version, just they left an old file and didn't erase it, mostly like the PC maps still there... well, for now I'll go for version 404. If you could find that patch for me, it would help a lot.

Doom27
MegaDeath

Post#16 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:47 pm

If you keep looking, I will look too.

Closest i came...

v402

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:iX ... =firefox-a

i'll keep looking.

xl2k5
rebel

Post#17 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Hmmm, I can't seem to be able to download the patch from there. Anyone got the file or another link? I guess 402 should be alright for what we're trying to do. Also, if we get the game's code we could understand more how the server works. I studied in computer science in college, so it shouldn't be a problem to understand the code. Another solution I thought of would be to ask the group responsible for the custom patch 451 if we have questions about something. Judging from the game's files, the server was probably seen as a mod rather than pure Unreal Tournament, so we might have to modify some variables to fit UTDC (for example, instead of writting UT_script, it seems to always be written UTDC_Script or something like that). I'll look more into that in 3 weeks.

grimgravy014
fire

Post#18 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Wow, I was unaware that Mark Rein actually responded himself.

That's really awesome, even if the news he gave wasn't the most uplifting, it's awesome to actually get a real response, not an automated one.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#19 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Sorry, I'm still in hope that UT gets online. If only I had the programming know-how.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

xl2k5
rebel

Post#20 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 pm

It can be put back online, just we need to build a team to do it, I won't be able to do it alone. If someone can find me the older patches, it would be a start, finding the Dreamcast map-pack is another thing, and finding a way to make Lord Nikon from Online consoles tell us how he did his suposed almost-working server so that we don't waste time redoing everything. UT is a port from the PC version, it's unlikely that they did many major changes to the server software, and since we have the code I could see what it looks like and modify it to make it work. We will also need help from people used to make UT servers, like modders, so they could explain us some functions. Making a UTDC server is in my opinion very likely, just it won't be easy and it cannot be done by only one person. Oh, and one more thing, we could try to contact directly one ex-coder for the port, and ask him about what they changed for the DC version. Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast will get back online if we work on it, trust me.