Sega Swirl online?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Sega Swirl online?

Post#11 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:48 pm

You could run your own SMTP server, but then your ISP might get angry for violating its TOS.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Starseeker
shadow

Post#12 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:You could run your own SMTP server, but then your ISP might get angry for violating its TOS.

If Online-consoles considers Sega Swirl to be "online" then there must have been someone who's already defined what has to be done in order to use that function of the game. Or perhaps they made a mistake? it's a fun game, but nothing extraordinary, but it would still be nice to add another one to the list if things come out right. Hopefully we can figure this out :D

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#13 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:12 pm

The problem with email on Dreamcast is that it doesn't support SSL and only works on traditional email ports. This means incoming email is on port 110 with no encryption and outgoing email is on port 25 with no encryption. Common email providers like gmail require TLS for pop3 email. One provider you can use is http://www.gmx.com. GMX doesn't require TLS for incoming email. One thing you will want to do is make sure your entire email address is 16 characters or less. This is because GMX uses your full email address as your login and DC has a char limit of 16. So I suggest you use the .us domain instead of .com.

Issue #2 is that most internet service providers block port 25 in both directions with the exception of outgoing port 25 but to only their SMTP server. There are some exceptions but check your ISP website. So what you will want to do is set your outgoing email server on DC your ISP's own SMTP server so that you can send outgoing email on port 25. If your ISP requires authentication for outgoing email as Verizon does, then you are out of luck unless there is a way to redirect your outgoing email through a server on your LAN to your ISPs SMTP server.
Attachments
20141212_215511.jpg
Regards,
brourke228

Starseeker
shadow

Post#14 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:08 am

brourke228 wrote:The problem with email on Dreamcast is that it doesn't support SSL and only works on traditional email ports. This means incoming email is on port 110 with no encryption and outgoing email is on port 25 with no encryption. Common email providers like gmail require TLS for pop3 email. One provider you can use is http://www.gmx.com. GMX doesn't require TLS for incoming email. One thing you will want to do is make sure your entire email address is 16 characters or less. This is because GMX uses your full email address as your login and DC has a char limit of 16. So I suggest you use the .us domain instead of .com.

Issue #2 is that most internet service providers block port 25 in both directions with the exception of outgoing port 25 but to only their SMTP server. There are some exceptions but check your ISP website. So what you will want to do is set your outgoing email server on DC your ISP's own SMTP server so that you can send outgoing email on port 25. If your ISP requires authentication for outgoing email as Verizon does, then you are out of luck unless there is a way to redirect your outgoing email through a server on your LAN to your ISPs SMTP server.

Thank you for the useful information! I learn a lot from this types of topics :lol:

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#15 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:05 pm

I'd like to play SEGA Swirl online. Who would like to play a game?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#16 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes, I would. I have to set things up so we can do this on my end.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:57 pm

We need to setup a thread to list all our gmail usernames on :D

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#18 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:00 am

Give me the word and I'll share my SEGA Swirl e-mail address.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#19 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 am

I will review the "how to" link and get setup after I catch up with other things.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#20 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:49 am

I've never really understood how the "online" with this is supposed to work. E-mail has a lot of latency, so you're just supposed to make a move and then wait 5 minutes for your opponent to e-mail you back a response? Games sure would take a while...
"Fear the HUnewearl."