DIY Dial Tone Guide

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
TacT
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Q3A
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

DIY Dial Tone Guide

Post by TacT »

So heres my ghetto Do It Yourself Dial Tone guide! for those who don't have a telephone line simulator, who are using a PC/MAC-DC or whatever and who don't have a phone line at home to swap with.

Basically all I do is play this Dialtone.wav file through a phone cord and plug it into a splitter on the modem hooked up to the dreamcast.

Download Dialtone.wav here~
http://www.2shared.com/audio/z8vM2q5m/dial_tone.html

Originally I plugged the headphone jack from the computer into a stereo and wired a phone cord to the speaker output, plug the phone cord into an rj11 splitter plugged into the modem.

pc~headphone jack~ stereo receiver~ speaker output ~phone cord ~ splitter~ modem

DO THIS AT VERY LOW VOLUME FIRST.
Do not crank up the volume all the way, I do not know if this will ever damage either modem in the computer or the dreamcast but I highly doubt it, If I remember a phone line takes about 68V DC and 90V AC for rings and such, I could be wrong.
Just play the dialtone.wav file on repeat on the computer and turn up the volume just a little at a time and try it until its loud enough to trick the dreamcast, it should take about 6 seconds for games to check the dialtone and start dialing.
Unplug the wire right before you hit Answer on your setup or whatever youre doing and it should work.

Eventually I took the stereo out of this all and i just wired a phone cord right into the speaker in my iMac! its a bit tricky and
I don't recommend doing this unless you Know what you're doing!
I only play it on volume 2-3 is loud enough to trick it.

Last edited by TacT on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's still thinking.

monster9000
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all

Re: DIY Dial Tone Guide

Post by monster9000 »

That is awesome. I need to find an old imac

TacT
Uber
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

Post by TacT »

a real phone line and ISP are still the best way I think, and that netopia way works the best but gotta get lucky and find a cheap one.

4x4 and starlancer are still pretty hard to get to work i still don't think i can join or host a starlancer game or what.

it's still thinking.

Neoblast
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ALL OF THEM

Post by Neoblast »

or you could just mod the game to enable blind dial, this is done with the planet ring loader for example
Nice try you fool! lol BBQ!

TacT
Uber
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

Post by TacT »

it works for quake 3 tooooo? Planet ring still required a dial tone when I tried just to have it not get online anyway. Thanks

it's still thinking.

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

If quake 3 can be hacked for blind dial that would be awesome. How does one go about doing this?
PS2 Online Gaming

Aleron Ives
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Ver.2

Post by Aleron Ives »

The patch for Planet Ring looks pretty small, so if the code is similar between the two games, it might be possible to track down the dialing protocol in the Quake binary to make the same patch. To start, someone would need to post the binaries for Planet Ring and Quake, as well as the blind dial patch for the former.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

TacT
Uber
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo