PSO DC-Talk Server Connection guide

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

noiseredux
Power Stone

Re: PSO DC-Talk Server Connection guide

Post#101 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:16 pm

BlueCrab wrote:No, everything should be working just fine. I saw quite a few people online each of the times I checked earlier in the day. Also, I just checked now and was able to get on without any problems.

damn. I was afraid of that, BC. Any ideas? I tried multiple times and got the same result.

I'm using Juno free ISP dialup.

First I used the DC memory flash ISO to clear out previous system settings.

I used Quake Arena III to set up my ISP. Juno... input my Juno username, password and access number. I didn't input any DNS settings or anything, as that didn't seem necessary (am I wrong here?).

Used the Sylverant patch disc.

Loaded up NTSC US v2.

Connected to internet which seemed successful as it said "welcome to PSO" and then went into the loading screen with the yellow, green, blue, red icons spinning...

...and then was told that I was disconnected because the server was not responding. :\

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#102 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

this sucks. I still can't connect to server. Does anyone else still use dialup to play PSO? If so, I'd love a little help. :\

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#103 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I thought that Juno didn't work with the DC ?

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#104 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 pm

WildCard wrote:I thought that Juno didn't work with the DC ?

seems to. In the extent that I can log on. I can log into Quake III Arena, but then there's no master list, and if I search for any private servers I can find online, I can't seem to find any.

Same with PSO. It logs me into PSO, but then won't connect to the server.

NO idea.

...if it IS Juno that's the problem (which at this point I have no proof of) does anyone know another FREE ISP to use in MA?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#105 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Many dial-up ISPs don't work with the Dreamcast, because they require proprietary dialing software to operate (such as AOL). Dreamcast-compatible UniDUNs were hard enough to find a decade ago, so it will be even harder to find them now when everyone is expected to have broadband (even though not everyone does). Most things of value aren't free, and online Dreamcast gaming is no exception.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

WildCard
Beats of Rage

Post#106 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:Many dial-up ISPs don't work with the Dreamcast, because they require proprietary dialing software to operate (such as AOL). Dreamcast-compatible UniDUNs were hard enough to find a decade ago, so it will be even harder to find them now when everyone is expected to have broadband (even though not everyone does). Most things of value aren't free, and online Dreamcast gaming is no exception.

+1

Getting online even "in the day" was dicey with any other ISP besides seganet. If a BBA or dial-up router isn't an option then maybe check out VT Rocket internet, it advertises the Dreamcast as one of the protocol's it supports, and is cheap as well.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#107 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

Wow, I wish dial up had been that cheap in my pre-BBA days. They have plenty of MA numbers listed, so you ought to be able to find a local one. At $3.90 a month, you'd have to use the service for about 3 years for the cost to equal that of buying a BBA, so it's up to you to decide if you want to make the long-term investment of getting a BBA and avoiding extra dial-up ISP charges. Using dial up instead of a BBA is beneficial if you want to play other Dreamcast games that the BBA doesn't support, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#108 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 am

I'm a little confused though, like I said Juno appears to be working in that it dials and logs me into Quake III for instance... I just can't seem to locate any of the private servers when I'm online. It doesn't seem to be a problem to get online though. Pretty weird.

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#109 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am

noiseredux wrote:I'm a little confused though, like I said Juno appears to be working in that it dials and logs me into Quake III for instance... I just can't seem to locate any of the private servers when I'm online. It doesn't seem to be a problem to get online though. Pretty weird.

The reason you can "log in" but are not able to then see or access the servers is that the master server is offline.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#110 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm

yes, I get that part. What I'm confused about is why I'm able to log in using Juno, but people are telling me that Juno doesn't work with Dreamcast.