Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#31 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:35 pm

You not able to reproduce them is really confusing me, here it happens all the time. Could it be caused by the environment the server is running? You may know we are using windows 2k3 with cygwin. And you are using i believe virtual machine. Could this have something to do?

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#32 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Maybe it has something to do with the clients being in such close proximity?
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#33 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Dr. Pariolo wrote:You not able to reproduce them is really confusing me, here it happens all the time. Could it be caused by the environment the server is running? You may know we are using windows 2k3 with cygwin. And you are using i believe virtual machine. Could this have something to do?
My server is running on FreeBSD (yes, in a Virtual Machine, but the VM part shouldn't have anything to do with it). I don't officially support running the server in Cygwin, simply because I cannot test every possible combination of Windows version + Cygwin that might be out there. The only three environments that I've actually tested anywhere near thoroughly with the server software are FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE on x86-64, Mac OS X 10.4 on PowerPC, and Mac OS X 10.6 on x86 (and the only one I've been testing lately is the first one). Its entirely possible that its a Windows problem or a Cygwin-related bug (as there have been Cygwin problems with the server software in the past).

That said, if someone could pinpoint what kinds of things are actually causing the bug, I'm happy to look into it. I honestly wish I could manage to make the bug trigger, but until I can see it happen (potentially many times), I can't very well try to fix it. :?

As K_I_R_E_E_K said, there are many pieces at work here, and its entirely possible that it may not even be a server issue, but rather a game media issue.

With my testing, I'm generally using a legitimate NTSC-US copy of PSOv1, a legitmate PAL-E copy of PSOv2, and a clean install of PSO for PC (with only very few patches applied, basically just what is needed to point at my server).

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#34 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm

unless whats causeing the fsod is the fact we don't have legit copys of the game. since for some reason the burned copies have trouble with quests while the legit copies can play them all.

btw try this have 3x dc players in a game.
have a pc player join
test this and let me know what happens
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#35 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Maybe that is true but how would u fix this? Most people who play the game use the burnt game?
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#36 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Favrenation wrote:Maybe that is true but how would u fix this? Most people who play the game use the burnt game?
If its the fault of the ISO, I can't really do anything about it. Pirated/hacked games can have their fair share of issues interacting with those who are using legitimate copies.

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#37 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:31 pm

So you also agree it COULD be because of cygwin? I mean, it even happened that the shipserver literally CRASHED.. So to me, it really sounds like its because of the environment. What im saying makes sense, right?

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#38 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Dr. Pariolo wrote:So you also agree it COULD be because of cygwin? I mean, it even happened that the shipserver literally CRASHED.. So to me, it really sounds like its because of the environment. What im saying makes sense, right?
It could possibly be because of Cygwin. There's a whole host of other things it could be, but Cygwin is of course one potential place where problems might arise.

That said, the crashing thing with creating ultimate games on PSOPC was a bug on my part that I believe is fixed (let me know if it actually isn't). If you're talking about some other crashing bug, then I don't know about it yet.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#39 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Why not put the server on a Linux environment and try it out? As long as you have the windows recovery cd you could put it back to server 2003.
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#40 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Favrenation wrote:Why not put the server on a Linux environment and try it out? As long as you have the windows recovery cd you could put it back to server 2003.
Linux won't actually work, unless they've fixed the stupid handling of TCP receive window sizing in the kernel (which I doubt they have). FreeBSD works fine, as would Darwin, and as should most of the other *BSDs, I think.

That said, I don't think its really worth all the trouble to reinstall everything like that, especially since I'm sure there's other stuff running on the same server that would have to be accounted for. If its a Cygwin bug, its entirely possible that they'll fix it eventually. If its a bug in my code, then its something I'll have to fix anyway. If its a bug with the non-legit discs, then reinstalling the OS is pointless as well.