ADSL BroadBand Modem Phone Line Splitter Filter Adapter

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

ADSL BroadBand Modem Phone Line Splitter Filter Adapter

Post#1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Re: ADSL BroadBand Modem Phone Line Splitter Filter Adapter

Post#2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Says interface type is on both end RJ11 so whatever youre planning to do with that on your DC, its gonna be dialup. It doesnt look like you can use this to plug the dc into a router or a pc network (since thats RJ45 and that weird device is RJ11)

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#3 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 am

damn was just going through things and looks like somthing intresting thanks
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Dr. Pariolo

Post#4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:42 am

To be honest, i dont think you will ever find something. I mean, thats something countless people do not know but:
in despite of rj11 and rj45 look so closely the same, just the size BARELY changes, they dont work the same, at all. Sure "the net goes through" if you simplify the things but the way it does has nothing in common, the signal itself is different.

You wont find, with todays technology a "magic" device that converts dial up signal to broadband; you need some software in between to two things. And that has a name: PC-DC server.

Other solutions are finding a dial up service, or getting the all mighty bba.

Im just saying to not get your hopes high on finding an easy and cheap solution for getting the dreamcast online.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#5 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah I saw this and I didn't think it would work. RJ-11 and RJ-45 are just cables. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to run a TCP/IP broadband connection through a phone chord it would work but it would just be pointless because the bandwidth would be so small. You would also need a device that would accept that as a pure data cable. Correct me if I am wrong though. (which I usally am) :lol:
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo

Post#6 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Its not only the issue about the bandwidth limitation of the dial up, its just not compatible, signal is different.

Its like trying to plug a satellite tv cable directly on a old tv that has not a digital tuner, even if you modify the cable so it fits, it will not work, you need a device that "translates" the signal (the satellite tuner).

Dreamcast broadband:
BBA;
DC-PC server.

No 3rd magical solution.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I understand what you are saying but you make it seem like it is more of a cabling issue than a protocol issue.
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo

Post#8 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Its just both.
If you manage, somehow, to adapt a RJ11 to a RJ45, it wouldnt work because of the signal. And if you get the DC-PC server, or equivalent running, you would still need to plug the whole thing.

You need to overcome the two issues, the signal and cable. By only fixing one it will not "work, but not at its fullest", it just wont work.