Get Online ***NEED HELP***

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Get Online ***NEED HELP***

Post#11 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm

If you are in North America, you should download the newest Planetweb 3.0 browser/Google edition (ala Dreamcast-Talk.com).
http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237&view=previous

If this does not work, I know what does...XDP.
http://www.dcisozone.com/downloads/924/XDP-Web-Browser.html

If you are elsewhere, follow the good doctors' advice (Dr. Pariolo).

One more thing, Disc Juggler is one of your best bet to burn.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

nerdyguy64
undertow

Post#12 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Now if anyone can anwser this then that would be great. I have comcast for my internet and I found out that they dont have dial up. Could I use net zero or juno to get a free ISP and then can I use that to get internet. If thats so, instead of plugging in the phone cord to the dreamcast into the wall, would I plug the phone cord in the dreamcast then in my computer!!! Getting online has never been harder!!! I might set up a DC-PC server but I first want to try and do this first!! Please help me!!!

nerdyguy64
undertow

Post#13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Now if anyone can anwser this then that would be great. I have comcast for my internet and I found out that they dont have dial up. Could I use net zero or juno to get a free ISP and then can I use that to get internet. If thats so, instead of plugging in the phone cord to the dreamcast into the wall, would I plug the phone cord in the dreamcast then in my computer!!! Getting online has never been harder!!! I might set up a DC-PC server but I first want to try and do this first!! Please help me!!!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:59 pm

You've created a second 'topic' with the same word-to-word comment. I believe this is the one that will survive, so I will repost my response here...

Ok, I guess you are trying to tell us the following:
a. You have cable modem thus not DSL.
b. You have VoIP thus not still having a dial-up from ATT or Verizon.
c. You do not have a Dreamcast BBA, just a modem.

If all of the above are true, you will need a BBA and a PW 3.0, XDP or other browser. This is easiest thing to do, but buying the BBA will be the hardest. There is an alternative I am working on, but cannot elaborate on at this time. I will say the cost of what I am working on is slightly cheaper than buying a BBA, but will not have the headaches and it will allow more games to be played online than the BBA (currently, only PSO, Quake 3 & the Dreamcast Browser are supported while Dial-up allows the previous plus 4X4 Evo, Starlancer & Max Pool - the jury's out on Swirl, but I believe it's dead).

Regarding miscellaneous items in your post:
1. You cannot plug the Dreamcast directly into your modem and expect it to just work - it won't. To make that work, refer to #2.
2. You would need to create a PC-DC Server. This will take some PC expertize being you are editing your registry.
3. You also have to be using a PC with Win98 or Linux before even attempting such a thing (refer to #2).
4. Attempting this in any other OS will more than likely result in failure.

Sorry...Sega abandoned us, so we're on our own!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#15 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 pm

If you have voip then you probably have unlimited long distance if that is the case then just try using this: http://www.fastfreedialup.com/ Again you don't even have to create an account just put something in the username and password field. Just choose an access number.
PS2 Online Gaming

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#16 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 pm

I have VoIP and I cannot use a modem device of any kind to dial out on it (including fax...unless I purchase a special package from my provider). The problem is that VOIP ATA is designed to compress voice data only, not the analog carrier data. Also, data transfer will have problems with QoS including packet loss and timing issues due to compression errors.

If you are able to do that, please respond in kind, Favrenation.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs