F355 Challenge online server revival

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

colgate
Doom

Re: F355 Challenge online server revival

Post#41 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:26 pm

flyinghead wrote:For those interested, the server source code is available here: https://github.com/flyinghead/f355-dc-web
Thank you for sharing the source code.

bl4ckb1rd930
noob

Post#42 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:54 am

Thats pretty cool that the online is active again.

lozz
core

Post#43 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:13 am

Thanks a million for your work here flyinghead! This news made my day when I heard it. I'll be eternally grateful that there are talented folks willing to voluntarily donate their time to server revival projects.

I was fortunate enough to play this title a handful of times back in 2005 when the official server was still online. I'm from the UK and I remember playing with some lads from France and Japan too.

It was such a long time ago that I'm afraid I've forgotten some of the details. I almost definitely used to play as a 'novice' and those I was racing against were extremely good and almost definitely racing as 'intermediate', so i think you could safely assume that players using those different modes were allowed to mix. I'm unsure about how long it used to wait for players to gather before starting, but I think it was longer than what it is now set to.

James Jarvis (DreamcastUK) was a more frequent/keener player than me, so hopefully he might be able to clarify things further.

Once again, props for pulling this revival off. I owe you a beer!

EDIT: this guide from GameFAQS seems to confirm that novice and intermediate players did mix. It also suggests the waiting time was longer (3 mins) but is not precise https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast ... /faqs/9074

flyinghead
rebel

Post#44 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:03 pm

Yes, I did some tests and there's no issue mixing Novice and Intermediate drivers in the same race. I'll push an update soon to allow this.

Thank you for the GameFAQ link. The part on the track selection voting system is interesting. I think the new server works similarly in that the track with the most votes wins, but if there is a tie the winning track is chosen randomly.

I already changed the way the 1 min delay is counted, and it now starts when the 2nd entry joins. So users connecting in a 1 minute timespan are almost guaranteed to be in the same race.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#45 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:12 pm

So, do I have to download another DreamPi image or edit the current one to be able to play it online?

To note, I have a 100% factory Dreamcast with NO magic GD-ROM mods or Dream Shell or anything else, just 100% pure Dreamcast hardware. I have the official GD-ROM of F355, not a burned copy. My wife accidentally destroyed my only steering wheel, so it will be strictly controller (boo).

Please respond accordingly.
Thank you.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#46 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:21 am

This is very exciting news. I only managed to play it online once back in the day, and while I absolutely suck at it, I'd quite like to play it online again!
aka DavidHK on DC games.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#47 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:26 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:So, do I have to download another DreamPi image or edit the current one to be able to play it online.

No, plug'n'play.
Use your original GD-ROM

moi
blackout!

Post#48 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:49 am

flyinghead wrote:I already changed the way the 1 min delay is counted, and it now starts when the 2nd entry joins. So users connecting in a 1 minute timespan are almost guaranteed to be in the same race.

Thanks for bring this classic back up, flying head!
I was wondering how much client parameters can be set via server software? Would it for instance be possible to randomly assign a unique car color to a player, to ensure that not all players in the replay are driving the same red cars?

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#49 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:18 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:My wife accidentally destroyed my only steering wheel, so it will be strictly controller (boo).

Oh, no! :o
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

flyinghead
rebel

Post#50 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:58 am

moi wrote:I was wondering how much client parameters can be set via server software?

I haven't reverse engineered all the data going through the server, except for the part I need. Changing the color and number of cars is probably doable, except for the actual driver of the car (which could be considered a feature I guess).