Modem NTSC problem

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

soulcaliburDC
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp096lt3BYo

Modem NTSC problem

Post by soulcaliburDC »

Sorry if I'm writing in the wrong place. I have the following problem. I can play online without any problems on my Dreamcast PAL and PAL modem. However, I cannot use the NTSC USA and Japan modem on both Dreamcast PAL and Japan. What is the problem?

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: Modem NTSC problem

Post by Xiden »

soulcaliburDC wrote:Sorry if I'm writing in the wrong place. I have the following problem. I can play online without any problems on my Dreamcast PAL and PAL modem. However, I cannot use the NTSC USA and Japan modem on both Dreamcast PAL and Japan. What is the problem?
As far as I know the NTSC USA modem should be region free. Makes me wonder if possibly the USA modem you have is faulty by chance, what kind of error message do you get?

Wombat
Vagabond

Post by Wombat »

I think you are using a line inducer together with a DreamPi? In that case, the PAL modem operates with a different voltage than the NTSC one. So your line inducer is made for PAL modems, thats why it doesn't work with your NTSC one.

My bad, it seems line inducers (as explained by the great megavolt85 in the post below) made for PAL modems also work on NTSC ones. So it's only the other way around that doesn't work, line inducers for NTSC modems won't work with PAL.
Last edited by Wombat on Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

1) all modems region free
2) LVI from PAL modem is suitable for modem of any region

The only thing that can happen is that the modem is broken. I have repeatedly encountered bad soldering of the RJ11 connector

soulcaliburDC
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp096lt3BYo

Post by soulcaliburDC »

Everything's OK now.In this NTSC modem, Dreamcast has 2 places to save ISP settings. The US browser saves data in a different socket than the PAL or Japan browser (Japan and PAL use the same browser). Therefore, some games still require ISP settings in the appropriate slot

Thank you all very much for your help