Dreampi 1.8 stuck on boot on pi 4

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pizzapoindexter
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena

Re: Dreampi 1.8 stuck on boot on pi 4

Post by pizzapoindexter »

Xiden wrote:
pizzapoindexter wrote:
Xiden wrote:
Hmmm those are both reliable brands so those should be good. Do you see any activity lights going when you plug it in? Is the red light steady when plugged in? If not it could be that you aren't supplying enough voltage to the pi itself.

As a last resort have you tried flashing Raspbian OS from the official raspberry pi site to rule out any issues with the pi itself?
yup, pi lights seem fine as far as i can tell, and ive tried raspbian with the same setup otherwise, and it seems to boot fine. you can see all the stuff ive documented with my issue in this thread: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=16922

ive basically decided that i want to try setting it up direct from the github source and try that out lol. just havent had the time to give it a shot yet
Have you tried booting it without the network cable and/or modem plugged in? Wondering if a barebones setup will show anything. If you have windows, download PuTTY and try to SSH to the pi (Just type in the Pi's IP Address and see if it allows you to connect that way). Have you tried a different power supply?
no, dont think ive given barebones a shot. might be able to try that tonight though. could also try to ssh into it, but im not sure how id be able to grab the ip on it if im not getting any display out with the dreampi image. i can reflash raspbian to the card and pull it there since i get a display, but im assuming itd just revert to a dynamic ip if i went back to the dream pi image. feel free to correct me on that though; been a minute since i messed with a pi this much lol.
Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

pizzapoindexter wrote:
Xiden wrote:
pizzapoindexter wrote:
yup, pi lights seem fine as far as i can tell, and ive tried raspbian with the same setup otherwise, and it seems to boot fine. you can see all the stuff ive documented with my issue in this thread: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=16922

ive basically decided that i want to try setting it up direct from the github source and try that out lol. just havent had the time to give it a shot yet
Have you tried booting it without the network cable and/or modem plugged in? Wondering if a barebones setup will show anything. If you have windows, download PuTTY and try to SSH to the pi (Just type in the Pi's IP Address and see if it allows you to connect that way). Have you tried a different power supply?
no, dont think ive given barebones a shot. might be able to try that tonight though. could also try to ssh into it, but im not sure how id be able to grab the ip on it if im not getting any display out with the dreampi image. i can reflash raspbian to the card and pull it there since i get a display, but im assuming itd just revert to a dynamic ip if i went back to the dream pi image. feel free to correct me on that though; been a minute since i messed with a pi this much lol.
It should show up as dreampi on your router so you'll be able to get the ip that way.
Retro-45
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Trying them all

Post by Retro-45 »

Xiden wrote:What software and brand of cards are you guys using?
Im using a sandisk edge 16gb and Samsung evo 128gb and I tried the flasher that is on the dreamcast live site but it seems to give error messages when flashing while the raspberrn flasher doesn’t
pizzapoindexter
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena

Post by pizzapoindexter »

Retro-45 wrote:
Xiden wrote:What software and brand of cards are you guys using?
Im using a sandisk edge 16gb and Samsung evo 128gb and I tried the flasher that is on the dreamcast live site but it seems to give error messages when flashing while the raspberrn flasher doesn’t
yeah this was a similar experience for me. of the many flashes ive done on both of my cards the official flasher seemed more stable. win32 kept leaving weird corrupted partitions on the card.

ive currently got it sitting hooked up to ethernet, lights for pi seem to be brighter than they were in my office (though that could be from it being a darker room), ethernet lights on but seem a lil dim. i havent seen it show up on my router's portal so far. might just fall back to my idea of doing it from source with raspbian.
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I can't really say for certain what you guys are doing wrong but just to note a couple of things. The image has been tested on every model Pi 1-4 so it wouldn't be a compatibility issue. Also, the issues you're having are completely different from each other. The rainbow screen is usually a compatibility issue but can be other things as described here.

As for @pizzapoindexter's issue, it sounds a little like the Pi is booting but you're just not getting HDMI output. You can try forcing HDMI output as described here and see if that makes a difference.

Another thing to note is that both 1.8 images are based on the previous images just with the new additions. The OS is exactly the same with no updates so if the previous image worked, there's no reason why this one shouldn't.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live
Retro-45
letterbomb
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Trying them all

Post by Retro-45 »

Ok i got it fix stupid me had the hdmi plugged into the wrong port on the raspberry pi lol thanks for the help guys