DreamPi or Broadband?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

amcpartymix
undertow

DreamPi or Broadband?

Post#1 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Hi, I'm trying to decide on the best way to get my Dreamcast online. Broadband is obviously faster, but I read not all games support it. Is that true? Can I not access things like the Shenmue Passport if I'm not using a dial-up modem?

If broadband is the preferred way to play online, does anyone know if there's black shells for them? The normal white BB adapters are rare enough, black ones on eBay are like triple the price. I purchased a black console shell and it would look pretty silly having a chunk of the system be white since I read the modem casing doesn't fit a BB adapter.

Thanks everyone.

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi or Broadband?

Post#2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:03 pm

Dreampi is the best option. There are only a few games that support bba.

amcpartymix
undertow

Post#3 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:03 pm

Would you have slower load times than everyone else if you're playing PSO with a DreamPi?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:58 pm

Pso performs well with dreampi imo. If you were to mainly play pso then bba may be worth the extra power but dreampi is more than adequate. You might check out online game play on YouTube.

OatBob
MegaDeath

Post#5 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:41 pm

Dreampi has multiple options and not only limited to Raspberry Pi 2 or Pi zero W. Alternative methods include running Linux PC using a Live-CD, or you can load a VM in VirtualBox.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

amcpartymix
undertow

Post#6 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks guys. Any advice on a potential black shell for the BB adapter should I go that route?

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:46 pm

amcpartymix wrote:Thanks guys. Any advice on a potential black shell for the BB adapter should I go that route?

Sega made an authentic Black Shell BBA Adapter :) However you could always use a filer and shave the plastic off to enlarge the hole for the BBA adapter as well. I've seen a few do that.

amcpartymix
undertow

Post#8 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Yeah, I saw a couple of those on eBay but they’re like triple the price of a normal broadband adapter. They go upwards to $500. Not exactly cheap, lol. I guess filing might be the only solution. It’ll bug me that it’s still going to say LINE instead of LAN but it’s not like I’m staring at the back of the system anyway. Would still prefer a cleaner solution without having to take out a second mortgage on my house to buy an official black one, though. Shame nobody ever made 3D prints or something for them. …Unless?