How do I flash Dreampi with a Mac?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Re: How do I flash Dreampi with a Mac?

Post#31 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:45 pm

I found that when I turned off security, tgat it recognized my dreampi. It is on now as we speak.

I can get the local ip address. Now what should I do?

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#32 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 pm

Do you have two green lights on the USB modem now?

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#33 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:39 pm

Yes after about a half hour I have 2 green solid lights on the Dreampi.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#34 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:40 pm

Should I use my so many free megabits of Earthlink dialup and see if my Ooma can dial into Earthlink to at least get websites?

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#35 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:58 pm

If you have two green lights on your USB modem, your dreampi should be working and able to go online

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#36 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:27 pm

Now I got a new problem.

Every time I try booting up my dreampi boot disk, there is no text, no graphics, absolutely nothing except either a black screen or a blue screen, depending on whether I go through Composite or HDMI.

I tried reformatting the disc in fat, in both Master boot and GUID. (I assume I can rule out the Apple Standard).

I don't know if Mac can do Fat32 or not, and if not, if I should do ExFat.

I successfully copied the zip file and BalenaEtcher for mac says it was a successfully flashed drive. But I get no screen reading

Back to square 1.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#37 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:28 pm

Normally. There's supposed to be "DOS-like" text. I don't even het that. I got to test my outputs. It was literally working at 3 PM Eastern today.

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#38 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:41 pm

Sounds like you unnecessarily erased the dreampi image on the SD card and then failed to burn a new image to the SD card. Were you sure to extract the .img file out of the zip file and the select that .img image when using BalenaEtcher to burn dreampi to the SD card? You shouldn't be directly copying the zip file over if that is potentially what you have done?

The instructions should be followed very similarly to this, except for using BalenaEtcher instead to copy the img over to the SD Card of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRLnj2YR3s

I hate to say it, but feel I need to address the elephant in the room and advise that if you are struggling this much so far, then getting online might not be the best avenue for you to be taking at this point in time.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#39 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm

Hello.

Someone told me I have too old of a Raspberry Pi Machine.

My machine has a full size SD card slot and a Composite Video output in addition to HDMI.

I heard a Pi 3 has the best combination of newness and economy.

I'll try a new Pi and see if that works.

That's the conclusion I had by 1 AM today.

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#40 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:50 pm

That is not true.

I have the same Raspberry Pi you are using and it works just fine, its not the Pi that is the issue here.

All you have to do is burn the dreampi image onto an SD card successfully and you'll be on the right track to getting online.