How do I flash Dreampi with a Mac?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Re: How do I flash Dreampi with a Mac?

Post#41 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:11 am

Okay then it maybe has something to do with downloading DreamPi.

It seems like if Dreampi touches my hard drive, it gets altered in such a way that the Macintosh renders it useless on other platforms.

In the early 2000s, Apple had commercials about how it played nice with PCs. It even was an alternate way to operate a Mac as a PC.

Apparently that commitment doesn't extend to Pi or Android, or other newer formats.

I want to test this theory, by trying to download and flash on an Android.

In the old days, cellular internet was my fastest connection, and I can transfer and flash by using USB C 3.1 on my phone.

Any way to try that? I suspect it's the way Apple writes files that it ruins it for other formats.

Any info on Android Pi-flashing?

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#42 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:21 pm

If you're not having luck burning the dreampi image via a mac, looking for alternatives like using an android phone is not a great solution.

I would encourage you to try an alternate SD card, and truly watch / read the basic instructions on how to download the dreampi image, and use balena etcher to burn to an SD card.

This has nothing to do with Mac vs PC, the dreampi img is independent from an operating system. Its just a file. Balena Etcher is doing the heavy lifting here, and would do the same job on either OS.

Otherwise, an other option might be to seek someone else out to burn the dreampi image to the SD card for you.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#43 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:59 pm

There's a guy helping me on Facebook Messenger trying to get me on directly using a virtual machine on a Macintosh because he knows my Macintosh is running when I stream video games so I might as well use the power of the Macintosh to run a virtual pie to run something similar to dream pie but made for virtual machines like Mac running Ubuntu in the background.

I'm getting with him tonight to see if this will work.

I will update you guys when I know.

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#44 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:06 pm

I'm guessing you're attempting something along the lines of this PC-DC guide

viewtopic.php?t=12731

Good luck

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#45 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:09 pm

Yes the PC DC thing, but with a Macintosh.

Trying that today.