Daytona USA Progress

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Re: Daytona USA Progress

Post#141 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:43 pm

Amazing work man! This is one of those DC games I've always wanted to come back online!! The dedication and hard work is much appreciated! Keep it up man :)

peanut_unlimited
lithium

Post#142 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:10 pm

Absolutely incredible work ioncannon! What an amazing effort. I'm so glad to see all that hard work paying off! Big ups

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#143 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:29 pm

colgate wrote:
ioncannon wrote:Update: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2r8tF7dTpsw . Actually footage of me testing after fixing the IPs on the PPP servers. Think you can add Daytona as WIP ;).
I'm curious did you have to patch the emulator's ppp server or the dreampi one?

Flycast's. Talking with a bunch of others about how it can be done on a DreamPi as I don't think that is a legal network link (WAN IP on a LAN). Might have to make a tool that edits the packets on the fly, which ugh not a fan but if it's the only way....

Edit: Just tried a match over the net and other than changing Flycast's PPP IP to our WAN IPs it worked fine.

colgate
Doom

Post#144 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm

Don't something like Source Nat helps? Maybe this is a bug in the game's client.

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#145 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:52 pm

Fantastic achievement! :) Well done!
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#146 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:03 pm

I believe Shuouma solved the LAN/WAN IP with another game but I forget which one it was now. I'll ask him tomorrow.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#147 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:23 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I believe Shuouma solved the LAN/WAN IP with another game but I forget which one it was now. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Yeah we found it, was the 2K2 games. Seems to be a closed source program doing this on the DreamPi.

mickschen
core

Post#148 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:54 am

So fuckin nice guys! Love daytona!

kazade
Developer

Post#149 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:19 am

ioncannon wrote:Was able to get a working Flycast copy with debugger and open ports. Hopefully it doesn't start crashing.

The problem is when an incoming UDP packet is received it reads where it came from; which ends up being the REAL IP address of the machine (not the PPP one). So the "getPlayerForSocket" function returns -1 as it can't find the player, and aborts packet parsing.

So a few other games have the same issue (if I'm understanding you correctly) where they assume the Dreamcast is directly connected to the outside world and so the DC IP is the external IP.

Shuoma made some utilities that are in the Dreampi image which manipulate the packets on the fly to replace the IP address IIRC.

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#150 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:08 pm

yet another reason the dreamcast community is by far the best!