Daytona USA Progress

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mechanic
Vagabond

Re: Daytona USA Progress

Post#151 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:52 pm

Lovin it !
Italian Stallion

TheTinWhisker
shadow

Post#152 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:44 pm

Excellent news about Daytona. I had actually seen the YouTube video before I saw the updated post. Hopefully we can multiplayer soon. I’m ready for some races.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#153 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:44 pm

Amazing to be able to follow all the progress of this work, all documented in this topic, great job.

mickschen
core

Post#154 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:44 am

But its for console too or only emulation?

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#155 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:57 am

kazade wrote:
ioncannon wrote:Was able to get a working Flycast copy with debugger and open ports. Hopefully it doesn't start crashing.

The problem is when an incoming UDP packet is received it reads where it came from; which ends up being the REAL IP address of the machine (not the PPP one). So the "getPlayerForSocket" function returns -1 as it can't find the player, and aborts packet parsing.

So a few other games have the same issue (if I'm understanding you correctly) where they assume the Dreamcast is directly connected to the outside world and so the DC IP is the external IP.

Shuoma made some utilities that are in the Dreampi image which manipulate the packets on the fly to replace the IP address IIRC.

Yep got into contact

mickschen wrote:But its for console too or only emulation?

It should once we fix the PPP IP issue. I've already contacted Shu who made a similar fix for the 2K2 games. Basically a service on the DreamPi looks for the session start packet and rewrites the PPP assigned IP to the real WAN one, so then everything should work properly.

Treamcaster
fire

Post#156 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:29 pm

This is LEGENDARY, seriously. Wow.

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#157 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:27 am

This is gonna be fun
Great job Ioncannon you deserve a break after this man.

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#158 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:30 am

Been working on making the lobby server more stable.

* Gutted and replaced all the networking stuff with better code from my other projects.
* Added code to handle disconnects and bad (either due to corruption or hackers) packets.
* Logging in with the same handle or IP will kick the currently logged in duplicate. This is due to limitations of Daytona (it uses the Handle as a unique key for packets, and always assumes your WAN IP is unique due to PPP days).
* Rewrote a bunch of the packing processing code to fix weird sync errors (IE: teams not showing up, or the host not appearing as a host).

Still one big bug with team data being screwy but I think it's just a malformed packet. Otherwise it feels a lot more stable now.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#159 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:33 pm

Amazing Work as always, cant wait to play it online!

ioncannon
Anarki

Post#160 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 pm

Fixed the team data bug and implemented the (very basic) search feature. There is still the stats stuff which I am unsure how it works; but reward cars at least save when you quit. Other than stats we are now feature complete.

Just more testing to catch anything else and in chats with Shu to getting the PPP issue fixed.