Alien Front Online Port Forward Quit Working

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

The Mr. Video
undertow

Alien Front Online Port Forward Quit Working

Post#1 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:02 am

Hi, a while ago I port forwarded for Alien Front Online on my AT&T Uverse router and it worked fine. However, I recently tried playing ALO online again but now it doesn't seem to work anymore as I can't join or create matches without getting kicked offline. I've also had trouble with Worms World Party despite port forwarding for that game too. To make things even more difficult, my Dreamcast's ip address does not show up on my router while my dreampi's address does. So far I have tried redoing the port forwarding and port forwarding on .99 instead of .98 to no avail and I'm not sure what to do next.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Alien Front Online Port Forward Quit Working

Post#2 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:56 am

The Mr. Video wrote:Hi, a while ago I port forwarded for Alien Front Online on my AT&T Uverse router and it worked fine. However, I recently tried playing ALO online again but now it doesn't seem to work anymore as I can't join or create matches without getting kicked offline. I've also had trouble with Worms World Party despite port forwarding for that game too. To make things even more difficult, my Dreamcast's ip address does not show up on my router while my dreampi's address does. So far I have tried redoing the port forwarding and port forwarding on .99 instead of .98 to no avail and I'm not sure what to do next.

You'll definitely want to keep it on .98 When I had AT&T it didn't show up until after the dreamcast connected. Make sure you dont have an existing ip conflict too. If you use ip pass through (att dmz equivalent) you shouldn't need to do any additional port forwarding.

The Mr. Video
undertow

Post#3 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:14 am

Xiden wrote:You'll definitely want to keep it on .98 When I had AT&T it didn't show up until after the dreamcast connected. Make sure you dont have an existing ip conflict too. If you use ip pass through (att dmz equivalent) you shouldn't need to do any additional port forwarding.

The thing is the Dreamcast does not show up on my router even when it's online. I did see an inactive device on the network with a .98 ip address. I don't think it's the Dreamcast because the router says it's connected through wi-fi (dreampi is connected through ethernet) and it does not change to active when I connect my Dreamcast online. I wonder if that device is causing an ip conflict.

OFFWORLDER
noob

Post#4 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:26 am

Not sure if this helps (I’m on Xfinity) but I actually set up a DMZ for .98 and everything is working fine now. Also, I noticed that my dreampi did not get noticed until I actually hit connect and I got into the waiting area in game. Then I refreshed my browser and it let me set up the device as normal.

The Mr. Video
undertow

Post#5 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:07 pm

OFFWORLDER wrote:Not sure if this helps (I’m on Xfinity) but I actually set up a DMZ for .98 and everything is working fine now. Also, I noticed that my dreampi did not get noticed until I actually hit connect and I got into the waiting area in game. Then I refreshed my browser and it let me set up the device as normal.

That's the problem. I can't set up DMZ on my router because it requires that the device be both listed on the devices page and actively connected to the router. My Dreamcast does not show up in the device list even after refreshing the page while it's connected the internet. That's why I port forwarded because it allows me to enter a static ip to forward ports on.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:48 pm

The Mr. Video wrote:
OFFWORLDER wrote:Not sure if this helps (I’m on Xfinity) but I actually set up a DMZ for .98 and everything is working fine now. Also, I noticed that my dreampi did not get noticed until I actually hit connect and I got into the waiting area in game. Then I refreshed my browser and it let me set up the device as normal.

That's the problem. I can't set up DMZ on my router because it requires that the device be both listed on the devices page and actively connected to the router. My Dreamcast does not show up in the device list even after refreshing the page while it's connected the internet. That's why I port forwarded because it allows me to enter a static ip to forward ports on.

Are you certain you are looking in the right spot? ATT definitely allows you to specify an IP. Its not called dmz on a att router though

The Mr. Video
undertow

Post#7 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:58 pm

Xiden wrote:Are you certain you are looking in the right spot? ATT definitely allows you to specify an IP. Its not called dmz on a att router though

I'm certain that I am looking in the right spot. I followed the instructions for PACE/2WIRE routers on this page https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700/. My router calls it DMZPlus, but it seems like the other ATT routers call it IP Passthrough.

Scrivani
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:03 pm

Quake 3 Arena let you know dreamcast ip on final connection step , can you check that out?
Happy if may help:
- BBA Mode for DreamPi: https://bit.ly/3JEIuhs
- VPN Port Fowarding: https://bit.ly/3Bgw4bu
- DC Now Data Analysis: https://bit.ly/42coxXw
- DC KARA NOT DEAD AT ALL- VCD Method: https://bit.ly/3P6VePw
- Know part of BR Community: https://bit.ly/3iLXS12

The Mr. Video
undertow

Post#9 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:15 pm

Scrivani wrote:Quake 3 Arena let you know dreamcast ip on final connection step , can you check that out?

I've practically got the ip address memorized from the amount of times playing Q3 lately :lol:. It shows a .98 address whenever I connect.

The Mr. Video
undertow

Post#10 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm

I'm starting to wonder if that rogue .98 address registered in the router came from when I connected dreampi through a wireless repeater using wi-fi. Maybe the port forward no longer works because I stopped using the repeater. If that's the case, I may have to reset the device list to reclaim the ip address and reassign it to ethernet since my router doesn't seem to have a way to forget individual devices.

Edit: While I was typing this, I had Quake 3 running and was trying to bring up the server list to no avail. After posting this, I refreshed the server list and now it works fine all of the sudden. Wait a minute or two and all the sudden it can't connect to game servers again. I have no idea why my Dreampi is so erratic with whether or not it wants to let me connect to servers.
Last edited by The Mr. Video on Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.