Sega Touring Car Championship is Back Online! (Sega Saturn)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Sega Touring Car Championship is Back Online! (Sega Saturn)

Post#11 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:56 pm

louis012345678 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
louis012345678 wrote:If the password system ever gets reversed, would there potentially be an option of submitting passwords from a PC rather than a Saturn, or was such a feature never available? I don't have a netlink and my dreampi broke last year but it would be nice to be able to submit scores still.

Yes I would enable the PC leaderboards once passwords are available. If anyone has a link to the game I'll see I'd I can find a work around for that one too in the meantime.

Sorry I probably should've been more clear. I meant submitting passwords from the SEGA Saturn game via a PC i.e. typing in the password displayed in the Saturn game on the website on my computer. Idk if that's possible but it would be cool to still submit scores from playing the Saturn version even without access to a netlink.

I suppose I could do honor system entries under the arcade leaderboards like they did back in the 90s. But I'd still want all the passwords associated with the times so it will contribute to my database for reverse engineering. Unless everyone is okay with honor system entries for sega Saturn leaderboards. I'm looking to accept .bup files for those without a Netlink as well so stay tuned for that option

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 pm

Ragfish wrote:For what it's worth, my best time so far is 2'57'539, with a password of SNAM1SZMW7J7RRS8. But I don't have a saturn modem yet, so you'll just have to take my word for it ;)

If you want to send a screen shot of your entry I'll add that. I need car details too :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#13 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:59 pm

louis012345678 wrote:
Ragfish wrote:
Xiden wrote:

If what you're asking for is a link to the old windows 95 version of the game, this seems to be it
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/sega ... onship-c5o

Thanks for the link but I'm interested in seeing if it's possible to type passwords generated from the Saturn game on the website on a PC. It's more fun trying to set times on an old original Saturn rather than a modern PC imo ^_^

For now if you just want to send a screen shot of your score and password I'll accept those for sega saturn. That way I can still log passwords

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#14 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:47 pm

Xiden wrote:
Ragfish wrote:For what it's worth, my best time so far is 2'57'539, with a password of SNAM1SZMW7J7RRS8. But I don't have a saturn modem yet, so you'll just have to take my word for it ;)

If you want to send a screen shot of your entry I'll add that. I need car details too :)

sega touring.jpg

Here's what I have for now, I can definitely improve it but I think I'd rather just get a modem than keep bothering you :lol:

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#15 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:39 am

I have the original CD-Rom for PC (Win95).
Works in win10 and I tested it a few months ago... Hard to control but was funny.

In the menu, have 4 network modes to work.
Maybe can play PC versus Saturn?

Sorry if is a off topic question :)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 am

Jako wrote:I have the original CD-Rom for PC (Win95).
Works in win10 and I tested it a few months ago... Hard to control but was funny.

Unforntueatly the Sega Saturn version does not have online network play, it only has the ability to submit leaderboard scores. Not sure why Sega decided not to add that to Saturn :(

louis012345678
Doom

Post#17 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:10 pm

WIN_20220110_20_07_40_Pro.jpg

Had a few goes at it this evening. Couldn't quite beat Ragfish's time but the A.I. getting in the way makes it quite difficult to get a clean run in. I only finished 3rd on my best run but won on my second best run which says it all really :lol:

Will definitely try setting a better time soon. There is plenty of room for improvement on this one :D

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#18 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:29 pm

Xiden wrote:
Jako wrote:I have the original CD-Rom for PC (Win95).

Unforntueatly the Sega Saturn version does not have online network play, it only has the ability to submit leaderboard scores. Not sure why Sega decided not to add that to Saturn :(

Thank you Xiden for the info! I always thunk that Sega Touring Car was online like Sega Rally and few others in Saturn.

Very strange, and more thinking about that the PC version is a port from Saturn.

Again, thank you for the info! And of course congrats for revive the scoreboard!!! :D
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:55 pm

louis012345678 wrote: I only finished 3rd on my best run but won on my second best run which says it all really :lol:

Yeah it's pretty funny how that works. None of my times so far have resulted in a 1st place finish. I need more practice, and also better luck ;)

louis012345678
Doom

Post#20 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:47 pm

Well... I've been playing this game A LOT recently trying to set time trial records on speedrun.com
After going back to arcade mode I managed quite a big improvement down to a 2'51"533, despite some sloppy driving on the brick wall town course. You can see the full run here https://youtu.be/POrfb1btp5Y
STCC.jpg