PSO problems

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Markdanni123
minority

PSO problems

Post#1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Hey guys

I have PSO up and running on my dreampi and everything is good but whenever I try and download a quest or try a quest with or without people it crashes. Just wondering if this happens to other people? I have a PAL Dreamcast but it doesn’t say in the connection guide that I need the slyvrant patcher disc it says American and Japanese need this not PAL

Thanks guys

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: PSO problems

Post#2 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:05 pm

First off, if you are playing with a European copy of version 2 of the game, you do not need to use the Sylverant patcher disc. There are reasons you might want to, however... Including the fact that it includes a bugfix that makes certain maps available in quests that aren't otherwise available.

That said, using the patcher or not wouldn't cause your game to crash on loading any quest (unless potentially you were trying to load one of the ultimate difficulty quests that requires that bugfix I mentioned above). There's basically a few things that could be going wrong, in general with those symptoms...

1. Your console might be having trouble reading the disc itself. Try cleaning the disc with a lint-free cloth and a little bit of Isopropyl alcohol. If that still doesn't solve the problem, try taking a cotton swab or cotton ball, dipping it in the Isopropyl alcohol and lightly dabbing it on the laser lens on the disc drive. Let the alcohol dry completely and try again.

2. Your console might be overheating or might have had some damage internally from overheating before. Make sure the fan is clean and that it can blow air out unobstructed. The same goes for all the other vents on the console. Also, make sure you don't have it sitting on top of something that gets warm itself or on carpet or anything else that might block the vents on the bottom of the console. Some people have had luck opening up the console and VERY SLIGHTLY bending the pins from the motherboard up to the power supply to have them make better contact (make sure the console is unplugged before doing this, of course).

3. If all else fails, your disc drive itself might (unfortunately) be dying. You could try replacing it with a GDEmu board or something like that if that is the case (assuming you have a model 1 console).

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Crashing when you download a quest is usually caused by the MTU problem. I don't know how to set the MTU to 1400 on a DreamPi, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Ah yes... the one I always forget...

Markdanni123
minority

Post#5 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Yeah it’s the original one I have, it even crashes when I try and join someone’s game, it is really strange and I just thought maybe it’s because I didn’t have version 2 but if the bug fix is already with the 2nd one then yeah I think I am gonna try and get that, my Dreamcast was second hand so it might have been in many different homes over the years, I cleaned the console before I even turned it on when I got it last year and everything was fine, my GD drive is brand new I got it from eBay from a good seller and it was still in the bag untouched, but will try what you said man and see if that makes a difference

Markdanni123
minority

Post#6 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Yeah tried everything dude and still nothing, took it apart again gave it a clean and it still crashes, even cleaned the disc to within an inch of its life, it never crashed at all before I went online, offline never gave me any problems, it never crashed but I see what you mean with the ultimate quests and stuff I don’t even know what is an ultimate challenge and what is not.

I even downloaded the quests from the DLC page on dreampipe and it doesn’t show up in game offline and online, think I am gonna just get version 2.