2 Dreamcasts can't connect over same wifi?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

WorldlyBoar
shadow

2 Dreamcasts can't connect over same wifi?

Post#1 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 am

Hi all, I am organizing a video game weekend with my buds and one of the things we wanted to do is set up a "LAN" (or maybe WAN) party for Quake 3 on Dreamcast through Dreampi. We have 3 Dreamcasts, 3 Dreampi, 3 monitors, etc.

In testing last night with two of them, I couldn't connect to a game with out the other Dreamcast getting booted off. They could both get to the "Arenas" screen, so they have internet access. But once I actually try entering a game, it only allowed one of the Dreamcasts to login, and if the other attempted to join the game, the first Dreamcast would get booted.

Anyone have any idea why?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: 2 Dreamcasts can't connect over same wifi?

Post#2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:56 am

See the Dreamcast Live FAQ page under "Can I use multiple DreamPi’s on the same network at the same time?".
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

WorldlyBoar
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:08 pm

Oh man I am a dummy, must have totally missed that on the FAQ page. I will try this but looks like it should work fine. Thank you so much!

WorldlyBoar
shadow

Post#4 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:See the Dreamcast Live FAQ page under "Can I use multiple DreamPi’s on the same network at the same time?".

Actually I have a question, the FAQ says:

"Yes but special configuration is needed and you will not be able to play any games that require port forwarding / DMZ. "

Can't I just add the .97 or .96 IPs (or whatever I use) to the DMZ? Or is there some other issue that won't allow this to work?

Thanks again!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:14 pm

WorldlyBoar wrote:"Yes but special configuration is needed and you will not be able to play any games that require port forwarding / DMZ. "

Can't I just add the .97 or .96 IPs (or whatever I use) to the DMZ? Or is there some other issue that won't allow this to work?

No, you can only port forward / DMZ to one IP address at a time.
PSO Characters:

WorldlyBoar
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:17 pm

Got it ok, good to know, glad I asked, thanks for all the help!

WorldlyBoar
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:57 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
WorldlyBoar wrote:"Yes but special configuration is needed and you will not be able to play any games that require port forwarding / DMZ. "

No, you can only port forward / DMZ to one IP address at a time.

Is it possible to connect via LTE do you know? Like through a cell phone hotspot? Would that be a work around for the DMZ requirement?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm

WorldlyBoar wrote:Is it possible to connect via LTE do you know? Like through a cell phone hotspot? Would that be a work around for the DMZ requirement?

I wouldn't recommend it. That would likely be lag city. lol You don't need DMZ for Q3A though so if that's all you want to play, you'll be fine.
PSO Characters:

WorldlyBoar
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

Yeah we are going to test first, just wondering if it would work in theory, sounds like it would. Ooga Booga was a big request, so trying to figure out how to make that happen.

Scrivani
Vagabond

Post#10 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:22 pm

It's like PC say, dmz is not a problem with games like Q3. So you just need to avoid IP conflicts in your home network.

The RaspberryPi's that exceeds the first one need to be changed to different (dc) fixed IPs, like:

Second one
dreamcast_ip = ".".join(subnet) + ".210"

Third one
dreamcast_ip = ".".join(subnet) + ".220"

And if you going to play games that need port forwarding, you can open all need ports to those different IP's.

Just DMZ that need to be set to a unique IP.
Happy if may help:
- BBA Mode for DreamPi: https://bit.ly/3JEIuhs
- VPN Port Fowarding: https://bit.ly/3Bgw4bu
- DC Now Data Analysis: https://bit.ly/42coxXw
- DC KARA NOT DEAD AT ALL- VCD Method: https://bit.ly/3P6VePw
- Know part of BR Community: https://bit.ly/3iLXS12