Archived Online Dreamcast Gameplay from 1998 - 2001!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Archived Online Dreamcast Gameplay from 1998 - 2001!

Post#11 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:29 am

Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the holy grail! Added some footage of Capcom vs. SNK Millennium Fight 2000 Pro to the first post! The online gameplay looks amazingly smooth so I think we can put to rest the assumption that it was laggy. :D
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#12 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:08 pm

That cvs pro online looks way smoother than I was expecting. I had always assumed a fighting game played over dial up would be absolute garbage, but as someone experienced in that game those 2 players don't seem too held back by it

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#13 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Added some online gameplay of Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram to the first post! It's just a save replay unfortunately so it doesn't show lobbies or anything like that but at least we get to see how it performs online. It's pretty pixelated but I did clean it up a bit from the original. There were a couple other recorded matches from someone else but they were even more pixelated believe it or not. lol

Ragfish wrote:That cvs pro online looks way smoother than I was expecting. I had always assumed a fighting game played over dial up would be absolute garbage, but as someone experienced in that game those 2 players don't seem too held back by it

I suspected it would be perfectly smooth TBH. The closest comparison we have right now is Gundam and that typically runs really smooth with 1v1 matches. With 2D fighters you have less data to send back and forth as you don't need to account for a 3D plane of movement. As with any online game though, performance is always dependent on the player's distance from each other and how good each of their connections is.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#14 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:17 pm

Thanks for sharing PC. VOOT looked like a blast online.

On a related subject I don't know if anyone in the community has a relationship with any of the Sega community managers but I think they could do a little bit more infact I think they objectively owe the DC community.

Any content analysis of Dreamcast coverage and engagement over the last decade would show a direct connection between proactive community endeavours and reactive positive content and sentiment. This is a commercial and reputational dividend for Sega. The Dreamcast was a failure in 2001 but it's brand in 2021 is now of a retro classic ahead of its time. When they eventually get round to launching the Dreamcast mini they'll be benefitting in part from the sentiment generated by the Dreamcast community.

Sega could get massive PR for very little effort. Imagine if they helped the community get VOOT or SR2 back online just by sharing a bit of their know how from twenty years ago.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#15 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I suspected it would be perfectly smooth TBH. The closest comparison we have right now is Gundam and that typically runs really smooth with 1v1 matches. With 2D fighters you have less data to send back and forth as you don't need to account for a 3D plane of movement.

Try telling that to any fighting game on nintendo switch :lol: