[SOLVED] PSO v2 Online Woes (Schthack)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamyjelly
rebel

[SOLVED] PSO v2 Online Woes (Schthack)

Post#1 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:00 am

Hey all, I seem to have trouble getting PSO online.. but like, trouble with the serial? Here's the low-down:
I started off with a Japanese copy of PSO v2 I purchased second-hand at a game shop recently, first using a CodeBreaker disc to bypass regioning. I entered the serial code included with the disc, and I've been able to play offline just fine. After realizing how loud the disc drive was, I opted for a GDEMU, and that worked all fine, game loaded faster too off an SD. This is when I started using a US copy of the game, though my save data and serial were saved on the VMU and worked just fine, despite region differences. I recently got a DreamPi set up and everything works well, except PSO.. I tried setting up the Japanese copy but couldn't get past the needing internet settings configured screen, despite setting it all up with DreamPassport... So I switched to the US copy, and for some reason when selecting the mode to play online, it asks me to re-enter my serial code. But when I do and hit enter an error sound plays and wants me to re-enter it again. Is there any way to bypass this? I even tried CodeBreaker codes to no avail.. I really wanna get online, but it just doesn't seem to be working for me :/ Anyone else had this issue, or might know what to do?
Last edited by dreamyjelly on Thu May 27, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Re: PSO v2 Online Woes

Post#2 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:40 am

dreamyjelly wrote:I tried setting up the Japanese copy but couldn't get past the needing internet settings configured screen, despite setting it all up with DreamPassport...

for Japanese version need configure e-mail
Read more

brunovieira90
minority

Post#3 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 am

As megavolts spoke You need in the internet settings Specify an email as well.The American version dispenses with this configuration. Use the web browser to configure this, and it should work.

dreamyjelly
rebel

Post#4 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:55 am

brunovieira90 wrote:As megavolts spoke You need in the internet settings Specify an email as well.The American version dispenses with this configuration. Use the web browser to configure this, and it should work.

I made sure to do that and still no dice..

dreamyjelly
rebel

Post#5 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:08 pm

Update! And sorry for the double post >.< But it worked! I had to configure it through a US browser.. weird lol. I guess DreamPassport doesn't work/matter on a US console. So yeah I used PlanetWeb and everything's up and running! Thanks everyone! <3 <3 <3

Edit: Oh I guess my original post didn't go through oof lol

brunovieira90
minority

Post#6 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Glad it worked my friend! Have a lot of fun with this game. Your post was definitely useful for you, and it will be for others who may have the same Problem. I'm happy if I could contribute one Little. A big hug, and anytime we will meet at the PSO.

dreamyjelly
rebel

Post#7 » Tue May 25, 2021 1:57 pm

brunovieira90 wrote:Glad it worked my friend! Have a lot of fun with this game. Your post was definitely useful for you, and it will be for others who may have the same Problem. I'm happy if I could contribute one Little. A big hug, and anytime we will meet at the PSO.

Yeah haha I'm facing another issue thoughh. I'm trying to play through Schthack, and I keep getting an error saying the network was unstable and the connection was dropped after the "Welcome to the world of PSO" screen. It might be on my end though.. After a search, it seemed more people had this issue years ago but I suppose it's not too active with the Dreamcast community. ^^; (And I don't wanna play on Sylverant, before anyone suggests I try that..) Might try to write on the Schthack forums or something..

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Both Japanese versions and the USv2 version have a check against a Sega server that no longer exists that is done right after the "Welcome" message. You need to use either some patches to make the game actually work online anymore to remove that check. Specifically, you need my "HL Check Disable" codes for CodeBreaker (which I posted on the Sylverant web site's how to connect page), along with any enable codes.

Since you're playing through dialup, you will also need the appropriate server connection code to connect to whatever server you want to play on as well.

All that said, if you wanted to play on Sylverant (even though you said you don't, I'm still going to mention this, since I am the one who wrote Sylverant and all of the related stuff for it), I have a disc that you boot before the game that will fix up all of this for you without needing CodeBreaker (and so that you don't have to deal with the problems that using CodeBreaker may cause either).

dreamyjelly
rebel

Post#9 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:22 pm

BlueCrab wrote:Both Japanese versions and the USv2 version have a check against a Sega server that no longer exists that is done right after the "Welcome" message. You need to use either some patches to make the game actually work online anymore to remove that check. Specifically, you need my "HL Check Disable" codes for CodeBreaker (which I posted on the Sylverant web site's how to connect page), along with any enable codes.

Since you're playing through dialup, you will also need the appropriate server connection code to connect to whatever server you want to play on as well.

All that said, if you wanted to play on Sylverant (even though you said you don't, I'm still going to mention this, since I am the one who wrote Sylverant and all of the related stuff for it), I have a disc that you boot before the game that will fix up all of this for you without needing CodeBreaker (and so that you don't have to deal with the problems that using CodeBreaker may cause either).

I dunno, I tried with and without the Schthack boot disc, though I think the disc might be outdated since it's from 2017. But I just followed the instructions on the website https://schtserv.com/psodc/ where for the Japanese copy it just mentions changing the DNS settings. I'd really like avoiding the use of CodeBreaker codes but, I suppose worst case I can try with it.

Edit: I'm only against CodeBreaker for sake of convenience as I don't want to swap over every time. If there is a way to like, permapatch the code in, yeah I'd probably just do that, assuming it works.

Update: Yeah no, even with the HL Check Disable code, I get the same error message. @_@
"The line was disconnected due to network error(s). Please try connecting again later."

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#10 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:40 pm

The network errors message specifically means that the HL check failed, so you must have used the wrong code or entered it incorrectly.
"Fear the HUnewearl."