[project]dreamarena

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Favrenation
Outrun

Re: [project]dreamarena

Post#71 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Online consoles has can has a separate version of the site that loads faster and is optimized for the Dreamcast. I was joking about the integration (well sort of) but you can't tell me this site is meant for Dreamcast more than PC. OC has a DC version that loads faster icons are bigger, the resolution is changed and is optimized for the dreamcast. When I go to this site on the dreamcast it is a pure white page except for the logo. it takes way longer to load too. I was just saying that it would be an optimized version for the DC.
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#72 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Its impossible to have a perfectly smooth running website for both DC and PC. Its not like theres the forum and a "cheap" layout skin for DC and then the "stunning" one for pc. For a perfect performance, its the forums engine that also has to be lowered. So, have two forums, just like on OC have two sets of forums (i didnt even checked, but thats what you said)

Even if we did that, we cant share the database for both of them, at least i dont how to do that. So when X makes a post on the DC version of the forum, it wont appear. Even if i knew how to export all the topics and everything made on this one, and import it to the DC version one, it wouldnt change a lot. Because it would be a one time exportation database.

And lets be honest, when was the last time anyone here actually browse any website from his dc, for CONVENIENCE, im not speaking about testing.

Making a perfect forum for the dreamcast is way to much work for the few users (if they exist) for them to enjoy it. Theres simply no point.

Outrunner
fire

Post#73 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

So most of the design would have to be made with images, wich makes the site slow to load under 56kb modem...

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#74 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:09 pm

Favrenation wrote:Online consoles has can has a separate version of the site that loads faster and is optimized for the Dreamcast. I was joking about the integration (well sort of) but you can't tell me this site is meant for Dreamcast more than PC. OC has a DC version that loads faster icons are bigger, the resolution is changed and is optimized for the dreamcast. When I go to this site on the dreamcast it is a pure white page except for the logo. it takes way longer to load too. I was just saying that it would be an optimized version for the DC.
Ben Pekarek has done wonders with Online console. his banner graphics are much nicer to. but that is what he does for a living, he is a graphic designer. the man is constantly working on OC and he deserves praise for how well his site looks and performs. i am not sure Impulse has the time for these things?

Dr. Pariolo wrote:Its impossible to have a perfectly smooth running website for both DC and PC. Its not like theres the forum and a "cheap" layout skin for DC and then the "stunning" one for pc. For a perfect performance, its the forums engine that also has to be lowered. So, have two forums, just like on OC have two sets of forums (i didnt even checked, but thats what you said)
i think all it really does is lower the resolution to 640x480

Outrunner
fire

Post#75 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:16 pm

And doesnt use CSS, all the colors are defined in the html code.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#76 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Online Consoles share the same database. He probably has both of them on the same server. He probably has a way to let two forums share the same database. Here is one for Simple Machine Forum for what I am talking about: http://www.simplemachines.org/community ... ic=16190.0
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo

Post#77 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 pm

flash news: smf is not the same as phpbb.

Even if there was something like that for phpbb, its not worth it.. I dont know how to say it more clearly. Too much work and no one is going to enjoy it. You all seem to be missing the point, and avoid that question i asked:

When was the last time you browsed a website from your dreamcast for convenience?

To be honest when i was thinking about making this dreamarena, making it compatible for dreamcast wasnt even in my head; because, just like this website, and any other DC website, everybody browses it from the pc.. So WTF? Seriously.. I was just thinking about making a website with the same functions (except for webmail.. Nobody uses a random webmail address anymore..) and making a layout just like the original dreamarena..

A website has to impress its guests in order for them to visit it again, often. Impressive website and "dc compatible" cant be in the same sentence.

Looking for complications such as making to forums and making them share databases is way too much hassle for just someone try his bba or dc pc server when he gets one.. So thats like 1 user per...6 months?

No. Not worth it.

Outrunner
fire

Post#78 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah. It shares the same database.
So I was thinking, since its extremely hard to copy Dreamarena looks, and I'm not even sure that the Dreamarena name isnt under any copyright at the moment what about making a website, with another name, with new looks and that offers the same services?
I was thinking about the Dreamcolosseum name, since colosseum is pretty similar to arena in meaning.
As for looks, I was thinking about making a logo that had like the roman colosseum and a swirl, and it would fit on the top left corner of the page, and when clicked it would drop a menu (made with java) with the options for the diferent services. So there would be more space in front page for text articles. What you think?
Should I make a new thread for this?

Dr. Pariolo

Post#79 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 pm

I think you should worry about copyright. SEGA is aware about scthack for instance, them spreading over the internet their modified game, and im pretty sure they also know about DCISOZone. So making a website thats gonna have the same looks and name of one of their old website.. I dont think its going to be a big deal..

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#80 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/share-m ... bb-boards/ There is how to share boards on phpbb. Doc i'm sorry I forgot to mention this before but to me this is one of those things that you do because you can. You have full time job and are out of school. I am a high school student who is thinking about doing web design for a career. It is more of a learning experience to me. I agree that joining the sites would not be worth it but at least admit you can do it. I know there would be tons of bugs to fix because of it. That is not the point. I was just saying that it would be a neat thing to do.

Outrunner Java is a no-no on the Dreamcast
PS2 Online Gaming