Unable to go online on Sonic Adventure

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Infomaniac95
undertow

Unable to go online on Sonic Adventure

Post#1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:31 am

(Originally posted earlier, but I removed it, since I thought it was under the wrong subform. It was not. Sorry!)

Hey there! For a long time now, I've been trying to get online for Sonic Adventure working, but to no luck.

The Web Browser, Planet Ring, and Worms World Party work just fine online, but not SA.

Currently, it just gets stuck at this screen:

Anyone able to determine what the issue could be?

(Before you ask, yes, I know Dreampipe is down, at the moment. Even before that, this issue has been persisting.)

EDIT: If it means anything, the entire console locks up at this screen. Even ejecting the disc, its still stuck here. Also, for internet settings, I set those using the XDP disc, Planetweb 2.6x Custom option. I will provide screenshots of what it looks like on my end, if need be.

EDIT 2: Here are my internet settings: https://imgur.com/a/uZpc3fT

Infomaniac95
undertow

Re: Unable to go online on Sonic Adventure

Post#2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Sorry for the double post!

I got my GDEMU in, and tried to go to the internet, on both the original American release, and the second American release, and they both freeze, just like my disc copy did. Im honestly stumped at this point, and don't know what the issue could be, or if I can even fix it.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Don't use PlanetWeb. It's the worst browser ever made.

Are you using a PAL or US copy of Sonic Adventure? If you're using the PAL copy then you'll need a copy of Dreamkey 3 to set up your PAL connectivity.

If that's not the issue then what are you using for SA? GDI or CDI? Where is it from? When some people try to reduce filesizes they stupidly chop the internet features. I had a Sonic Adventure 2 CDI that did this. Grab Dubcity's GDIs as they are flawless, and I've been using his GDI of Sonic Adventure online without issue

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#4 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:21 pm

OK, legit fixed it just now. The fix is not what I was expecting, either.

As it turns out, under the email part of my internet config, was a bunch of giberish in all of the fields. Removing all of this giberish makes it to where I can now access the internet portion of Sonic Adventure, with no issues. Sorry all for the troubles!

As an aside, since PlanetWeb isnt good, what web browser(s?) should I be using for Dreamcast, then? I have XDP R4, which I think is supposed to be the best one?

EDIT: Getting rid of the garbage text in email was not enough. Having "Your Real Name" set also causes Sonic Adventure to not work online. Leaving it blank now has it all good.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:40 pm

The only XDP I know of includes PlanetWeb 2.6x, I'm pretty sure it's PlanetWeb based.

If you're on BBA then Dream Passport 3 or Premier is best - though you'd have to get around the Japanese. Drez01 is working with me on my DreamArena project, and he's translating Dream Passport so soon that won't be an issue.

The best browser on modem is Dreamkey, it's based on Dream Passport's code (though isn't BBA compatible) but has a taller screen resolution than both Dream Passport and PlanetWeb - making it the best browser for content browsing. Like Passport it includes a VMU memory manager and better menus for easier navigation. Drez is beefing up Dreamkey too for the DreamArena release. It'll include the DreamLibrary downloadable Mega Drive emulator that was built into Passport 3/Premier and we're also trying to revive other features such as the internet phone calls, private messages and IRC options.

Follow my DreamArena 2.0 topic for video footage and updates if you want to see the differences and such in action.