Hellgate - Online Play and Leaderboards

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Hellgate - Online Play and Leaderboards

Post#1 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:15 am

I only have a CDI of Hellgate (Called Hellgate v2 on the CDI filename for some reason). I'd be interested to see if there's a fully functional GDI.

Hellgate is a kind of futuristic 3D racing/shooting game set in Hell. I've found some information on The Dreamcast Junkyard etc but it's sparse. It was never completed, and is quite buggy. However the main menu has a Web Browser option at the very bottom. On the CDI build, selecting the Browser crashes the game and causes the console to reset - this is common in CDIs (and some GDIs) where the feature has been deleted by the person truncating the image size. Because this game is incomplete, it's possible the browser was never installed in the first place, but I'm trying to find a GDI image that might give me a better idea.

I guess what I'm interested in is what online functions the game may have had, and if there's any information on them? We recently discovered online modes in Sega Extreme Sports (PAL only) and this is another title with overlooked online connectivity.

::EDIT::
Okay there are online multiplayer modes.
Game Start will take you to a single player open-world style story mode.
Time Trial will give you the option to Connect To The Internet to "Get The Latest Scores" before you play
IMG_20201213_142343.jpg

Deathmatch will give you Split-Screen as expected, but also a Link-Up and an Internet Deathmatch option.
IMG_20201213_142426.jpg

IMG_20201213_142420.jpg

IMG_20201213_142459.jpg

Obviously attempting to connect doesn't work, though the rotating planet icon appears in the top right corner of the screen.
IMG_20201213_142504.jpg

So this game definitely included (or was planned to include) the following;
Web Site (via Browser)
Leaderboards (Get Latest Scores)
LAN Link-Up Multiplayer (Deathmatch)
Internet Multiplayer (Deathmatch)

Are we able to try and find out more about this game?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Hellgate - Online Functionality?

Post#2 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:35 am

Unfortunately the online mode is nothing more than a non-functional UI in the leaked build. Most likely just added for future functionality they planned on adding. Since the game itself was never finished, they most likely never got around to it.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

shenhulahula
undertow

Re: Hellgate - Online Play and Leaderboards

Post#3 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:23 pm

What about the LAN Link-Up? Is it functional?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 pm

shenhulahula wrote:What about the LAN Link-Up? Is it functional?

The VS Link cable mode works, yes. You can see footage of it in my video here (at 2:18):

Edit: NVM, this is just regular split-screen mode. The VS mode does work though as I've tested it.
PSO Characters:

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Hellgate - Online Functionality?

Post#5 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:48 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Unfortunately the online mode is nothing more than a non-functional UI in the leaked build. Most likely just added for future functionality they planned on adding. Since the game itself was never finished, they most likely never got around to it.

Ah, that's a shame, but kinda makes sense given that the connection button functions insofar as beginning a connection animation, but the DC doesn't seem to call out to the Dreampi.

Then the other question I have is regarding the Web Browser option. Is this also a non-functional UI or does it actually fire up? I'm still struggling to find the untruncated GDI of this title, so I'm unable to test it. Anyone who has the uncut version of the leak please message me a link, pwetty pwease ^^;;

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:01 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:The VS Link cable mode works

lol, doesn't get their own screen?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:13 pm

mistamontiel wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:The VS Link cable mode works

lol, doesn't get their own screen?

Oh you know what, I think that was just regular split screen now that I think of it. lol Good catch. The mode does work though.
PSO Characters: