Can more than one broadband Dreamcast connect from same network?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Elliander
lithium

Can more than one broadband Dreamcast connect from same network?

Post#1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi, I would like to take more than one Dreamcast Online in the same house for playing Phantasy Star Online. I own a DreamPi, but as I understand only one of those will work on the network. I read that I could use a broadband adapter on one Dreamcast and a DreamPi on the other to take both online, but I want to be able to take more than 2 Dreamcasts online, so I figured I would ask:

If two Dreamcasts have a broadband adapter and both try to connect to the internet to play PSO will it work? If so is there a limit on how many will work?

Sorry if this has been asked before. When I searched the forums I get "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: broadband adapter." and when I searched google I didn't find this exact question.

Gocha
letterbomb

Re: Can more than one broadband Dreamcast connect from same network?

Post#2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Well, I'm not sure about the broadband adapter, but what I've done for sure is using my dreampi and my GF using an emulator on the same network, specifically flycast on retroarch to play together, it works without any problem. I don't see why a BBA + a pi wouldn't work, but I'm not completly sure about it?

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#3 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:33 pm

I think it would work as long as you don't use the same serial code for logging on PSO for both consoles...whether its threw Dream pi or BBA it should work... FYI thanks for the heads up about only one DreamPi per network, I never knew that...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Elliander wrote:I own a DreamPi, but as I understand only one of those will work on the network.

You can use two DreamPi's on the same network but you need to change the IP that's assigned to the Dreamcast on one of them to avoid a conflict. To do this you need to edit a line in the dreampi/dreampi.py file like this:

Find the line that looks like this:
IP1.jpg
IP1.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 6615 times

Change to this:
IP2.jpg
IP2.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 6615 times

This will make the Pi assign the .97 IP address to the Dreamcast instead of the regular .98.

Alternatively you can download a DreamPi image with the IP already changed from here.

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to play any games that require port forwarding. PSO isn't one of them so that would be fine. You just need a separate serial number and key or else the PSO server won't let you connect both at the same time.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Elliander
lithium

Post#5 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info on the DreamPi options! Still curious about the broadband of course. I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

shenhulahula
undertow

Post#6 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:31 am

Is there a list of which games require port forwarding and which don't?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Elliander wrote:Still curious about the broadband of course.

Yes you can use two BBAs on the same network.

shenhulahula wrote:Is there a list of which games require port forwarding and which don't?

All games with the * next to them:
https://dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide/
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Old Kid
noob

Post#8 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:20 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Elliander wrote:I own a DreamPi, but as I understand only one of those will work on the network.

You can use two DreamPi's on the same network but you need to change the IP that's assigned to the Dreamcast on one of them to avoid a conflict. To do this you need to edit a line in the dreampi/dreampi.py file like this:

Find the line that looks like this:
IP1.jpg

Change to this:
IP2.jpg

This will make the Pi assign the .97 IP address to the Dreamcast instead of the regular .98.

Alternatively you can download a DreamPi image with the IP already changed from here.

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to play any games that require port forwarding. PSO isn't one of them so that would be fine. You just need a separate serial number and key or else the PSO server won't let you connect both at the same time.

Thank you! This is exactly the information I need. It might be useful to have a section about this on the connection guide on the main dreamcastlive.net site.