PSO Save/Recall and Changing your character

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

spirit_light_speed
shadow

PSO Save/Recall and Changing your character

Post#1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Just curious...

I'm using a NEXUS X16 VMU, making several characters with it, etc.

Curious about making a cosmetic change to one of my level 30 guys (stature, weight, etc).
If I used the /save 1 command...
And then used one of the other banks to create a character with the same name, class, etc. (he just looks bit different)
Would the /restore 1 function replace the original character onto the new bank?

How would this work exactly, and if it did, what would happen to the original character?

Thanks folks!

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: PSO Save/Recall and Changing your character

Post#2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:04 am

Restoring a character completely overwrites the current character as it is in the lobby.

By the way, I would strongly advise against using that nexus X16 with PSO characters. Good chance it will corrupt.

spirit_light_speed
shadow

Post#3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply!

So, obviously the character would need to be loaded with everything worth keeping from the bank, as that information wouldn't be saved, correct?

But is it possible to use a new slot on that memory card to recreate and then modify the cosmetics of a character (but name them the same, keep the same class, etc), and then do a restore, while simply using a different slot/bank?

And better still, if this 16X card is dodgy, is it possible to use a new/different card, re create the character and still do the restore on it (I'm assuming as long as the serial number, etc. are all put in the same)?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this properly on something reliable... I've lost too many good characters in the past to corrupted files.

Appreciate the help :)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm

The restore commands overwrites your character. If you save a HUmar and then restore it on a HUnewearl, your HUnewearl is now a HUmar and you effectively deleted your HUnewearl. The costume settings and class on the old character are irrelevant.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:23 am

If you are wanting to backup your character to different VMUs, you can use VMU tool. It can remove the copy protection on save files which have it, and then just copy it to another memory card / bank.
https://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rel ... en&menu=on

If you are wanting to make aesthetic changes to your character, there is a codebreaker code that allows you to modify all the physical aspects of your character in the dressing room that you did when you originally made the character. This will not allow you to however change the class/sex of your character.