PSO Online compatibility/item questions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

spirit_light_speed
shadow

PSO Online compatibility/item questions

Post#1 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:16 am

Hey folks,

A couple of questions, the first regarding compatibility. I run a Dreamcast system with dreampi to get online with PSO. I have a friend who's very interested in getting online with that game so we can pay together. He doesn't own a Dreamcast however, but he's hoping a PC version might be compatible to play on the Dreamcast server. Is there a version you guys could recommend? Would an emulator do the trick? Is there a link you could share or at the very least something we could google to get him online to play? I'm usually on Altimira

Also... I have a Nexus card for my Dreamcast that has multiple PSO characters on it. Is there anyway to trade my special items between my characters? Barring that I can't do the swaps through an online friend, is there a method that this is doable? From what I've researched, it looks like the only way to do this is through another player, but the threads I've checked are quite dated. Has this been updated?

I would dearly love to share the wealth of my Level 94 HUnewwearl

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate it

SLS

SirRockEmSockEm
rebel

Re: PSO Online compatibility/item questions

Post#2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey there! To answer your first question:

Yes, you can play the PC version of PSO with DC players. I'll send you a PM with details on the forum!

Unforunately I can't answer the second question. You'll need to ask someone else. Although, maybe once you and your friend gett online, you could drop the special items on the floor for him to pick up?

MIAtomsk
noob

Post#3 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:53 am

Emulators can still connect to Sylverant's servers. I've tested it on Retroarch's flycast core on a Nintendo Switch, but I haven't tried connecting both my Switch and my Dreamcast online simultaneously.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 pm

spirit_light_speed wrote:A couple of questions, the first regarding compatibility. I run a Dreamcast system with dreampi to get online with PSO. I have a friend who's very interested in getting online with that game so we can pay together. He doesn't own a Dreamcast however, but he's hoping a PC version might be compatible to play on the Dreamcast server. Is there a version you guys could recommend? Would an emulator do the trick? Is there a link you could share or at the very least something we could google to get him online to play? I'm usually on Altimira
Emulators tend to have interesting bugs and other issues -- I'd avoid using an emulator, personally. There is the PC version of the game, and it is pretty much 100% compatible with the Dreamcast version online (because the server handles any sort of translations needed between the two).

Also... I have a Nexus card for my Dreamcast that has multiple PSO characters on it. Is there anyway to trade my special items between my characters? Barring that I can't do the swaps through an online friend, is there a method that this is doable? From what I've researched, it looks like the only way to do this is through another player, but the threads I've checked are quite dated. Has this been updated?
Nope. You still need to do any sorts of trades online through someone else as an intermediary.

SirRockEmSockEm
rebel

Post#5 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:20 pm

BlueCrab wrote:Emulators tend to have interesting bugs and other issues -- I'd avoid using an emulator, personally. There is the PC version of the game, and it is pretty much 100% compatible with the Dreamcast version online (because the server handles any sort of translations needed between the two).

This is very true, though I will say that PSO works pretty much perfectly these days, as far as I can tell.