Regaining access to old PSO character.

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Regaining access to old PSO character.

Post#1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 am

Hi all, old forum member from what feels like a lifetime ago lol.

Basically I used to play PSO v2 online in 2009 and 2010 on my old Dreamcast via a BBA with a custom schtserv copy of PSO v2 that I got with my BBA off of ebay.

The old Dreamcast I used to use was kept in a loft and suffered some damage along 2 house moves and now seems to be dead :cry: I had started to fit a mod for the external CF card reader (a mini board you join to the bottom of the mother board) which got damaged in a box and basically ripped the board off the motherboard pulling most of the soldered points off!

ALSO my schtserv disc is also damaged and I can't get it to load or can't rip a dic image of it on my pc as its too damaged (although I read that the schtserv servers are long dead now??)

I now can't access my old character and can't remember putting in a code either - after burning a standard copy of the game and using the vmu with character on it prompts me to enter a code on start up- is there ANY way I can access my old character because if so I will make a Dreampi and get back on here as I've been wanting to get my Dreamcast back up and running online again!
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46
name: Predator

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Regaining access to old PSO character.

Post#2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am

As far as I know you'll need to know the serial number and access key you used when you made the character. It's possible you used a shared serial/access key. Do a google search for that and give it a try.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 am

Right I've found a serial code and access code that allow me to access a burned Dreamcast-talk server version of the game, however I can't access my character from my vmu - it can see theres PSO data on the vmu (as if I select new game it says PSO data detected on disc are you sure you want to over write) yet when I try and load from it nothing comes up (only an option to reload - which obviously doesnt work)

Has anyone here got an old schtserv cdi image I can have?

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 am

If the serial and key you put in does not match the ones linked to the character, you won't be able to load it. A different disc isn't going to change anything. Unfortunately the only way to get your characters back is to find the original serial and key that you used.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:42 am

The character save data is tied to the serial number/key. Unless you have the matching key saved to the Dreamcast's flash memory it won't load, period. When moving to a new Dreamcast, the best method I've found is to erase your flash memory (there's a tool out there for that), create a new character on a different memory card entering the old serial number and key. This will save that to the DC, then you will be able to load the old character. As far as I know there was never a version of PSO released that didn't require you to enter a serial number. There was an old disc released that provided this:
PSO Ver.2 PAL-E Serial Number: E4367CA4
PSO Ver.2 PAL-E Access Key: 5YWXZG3D

You must have gotten a key somewhere because it prompts you to enter one any time you make a new character.

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Yeah I honestly can't ever remember using a serial number and access key :-( (it was in 2009 though)

I'll keep doing some research....

(can the flash memory chip be removed as I have a few spare DC motherboards kicking about I could move it onto lol)

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm

spinksy wrote:can the flash memory chip be removed as I have a few spare DC motherboards kicking about I could move it onto lol

You must be really attached to that character

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:31 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
spinksy wrote:can the flash memory chip be removed as I have a few spare DC motherboards kicking about I could move it onto lol

You must be really attached to that character

lol I know it looks a bit ridiculous saying that but I'm only really interested in using my old character (my life has changed a lot since back then and I would just do almost anything I could to access the character again lol) plus I'm pretty confident at soldering after doing many DC mods so that would probably be easiest way :lol:

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:24 pm

spinksy wrote:Yeah I honestly can't ever remember using a serial number and access key :-( (it was in 2009 though)

(can the flash memory chip be removed as I have a few spare DC motherboards kicking about I could move it onto lol)

yes, if you solder flashrom from your dead console to new, it's restore acess to your account

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:47 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
spinksy wrote:Yeah I honestly can't ever remember using a serial number and access key :-( (it was in 2009 though)

yes, if you solder flashrom from your dead console to new, it's restore acess to your account

which chip on the board is it please?

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46