Metropolis Street is Racer Back Online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Metropolis Street Racer Back Online!

Post#51 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:33 am

jial wrote:you were right!!, there was a bug in speed challenge, now it works perfect!!(I hope ;))

Please, try it :)

Excellent. Im really looking forward to this. I hope to be home in a few weeks so will upload some times when in lockdown!
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#52 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:07 am

Hello all! Haven't posted regularly in a long while but maybe this will change things :lol: . Nice that my ghosts from way back when (2010/2011) found a new home.;) Great work from all involved! :D :D

I have just tested the Speed Challenge section by uploading a ghost car and unfortunately there are a couple of problems (minor and major).

* The minor problem is how the times are displayed if the number of seconds are less than 10. For example, 1:05.111 will be displayed as 1:5.111.

* The major problem is that I was able to upload an invalid time. The Speed Challenge mode only allows you to use the Speedster/Vauxhall cars with Automatic Gears. However the website accepted a ghost from the same San Francisco course used in Speed Challenge (Financial M11 - San Francisco/Financial District/Medium/Market West II) but which was created via the Ghost Attack / Time Attack option within the main game. This allows you to use any car within your garage; in this case, the Nissan Skyline with Manual Gears. Therefore my current time of 1:4:412 (or 1:04.412) currently displayed should be ignored and deleted.

I think the original Speed Challenge ranking on Dreamarena pulled the times from your main save file as opposed to ghost files. For the Three City Challenge (which is a combination of all times from the 3 Speed Challenge courses), the new website asks for a ghost file that could not exist.

Jial / Xiden, I am happy to test other functions and provide feedback accordingly. I hope you are able to delete the above time. Well done on a fantastic achievement in resurrecting MSR! :D

PS Hello pcwzrd13!!
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#53 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 am

Hi again,

I can confirm that the ghost attack cars can now be downloaded. I think a few bugs in the game have been exposed though, as initially after downloading the Supra and Jensen the Supra ghost appeared in game and was visible. However upon trying to play against the Jensen ghost and thereafter the ghost cars have disappeared :(

Secondly when trying to save new time trial data to overwrite the files on the VMU already the game doesn't seem to want to save the times :( I think this is an old bug as I think I can remember the frustration of MSR not saving times to the VMU back in the day.

When creating time trials, it's important to keep a note of what track and city you created the time trial on, as after uploading your time it can be quite confusing trying to find the relevant leaderboard for your time.

Here's my stream from today showing the ghost attack cars being downloaded and the various in game (I think) bugs:

https://youtu.be/73bmx_ipHjg

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#54 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am

rjay63 wrote:Hello all! Haven't posted regularly in a long while but maybe this will change things :lol: . Nice that my ghosts from way back when (2010/2011) found a new home.;) Great work from all involved! :D :D

I have just tested the Speed Challenge section by uploading a ghost car and unfortunately there are a couple of problems (minor and major).

* The minor problem is how the times are displayed if the number of seconds are less than 10. For example, 1:05.111 will be displayed as 1:5.111.

* The major problem is that I was able to upload an invalid time. The Speed Challenge mode only allows you to use the Speedster/Vauxhall cars with Automatic Gears. However the website accepted a ghost from the same San Francisco course used in Speed Challenge (Financial M11 - San Francisco/Financial District/Medium/Market West II) but which was created via the Ghost Attack / Time Attack option within the main game. This allows you to use any car within your garage; in this case, the Nissan Skyline with Manual Gears. Therefore my current time of 1:4:412 (or 1:04.412) currently displayed should be ignored and deleted.

I think the original Speed Challenge ranking on Dreamarena pulled the times from your main save file as opposed to ghost files. For the Three City Challenge (which is a combination of all times from the 3 Speed Challenge courses), the new website asks for a ghost file that could not exist.

Jial / Xiden, I am happy to test other functions and provide feedback accordingly. I hope you are able to delete the above time. Well done on a fantastic achievement in resurrecting MSR! :D

PS Hello pcwzrd13!!

Hi rjay. Your MSR blog is very interesting as well as all the DLC stuff for MSR!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#55 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 am

rjay63 wrote:PS Hello pcwzrd13!!

Hey rjay! Was wondering when you would chime in on this. I was thinking of PMing you but figured your keen MSR-sense would be on this soon enough. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

jial
Developer

Post#56 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:36 am

Hi rjay63, First thanks for your DLC, it's good that you preserve that piece of msr history. Thanks dude!!

About bugs found:

- I fixed time displaying, now show correct time format.
- I fixed that in speed challenge you can't use other car or circuit except preconfig in speed challenge section.

About how worked speed challenge, I didn't have any idea, and all site is based in suppositions. But I will change all system to use main save file instead ghost files, it will take me a litle bit time but I think that I can do it soon.

And of course your help will be welcomed, you know how msr game is and all your knowledgements will be very useful for us.

And for community if you find any bug, please report me in this thread or by pm.

Thanks to all

jial
Developer

Post#57 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 am

Hi hadyn, after uploading time trial time, it must show you a info screen with all data about it including city and course used for that time trial. I will view your stream to check it out .

Thanks for report

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#58 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 pm

No problem Jial. Please note, only the blank New Time Trials (before ghost cars are created) technically count as official DLC. All my other MSR Time Trials and Ghost Attacks are "user generated".

This is the screen in MSR that shows your Speed Challenge times. You can find it by selecting Options -> Records -> Speed Challenge or via Internet - > Speed Challenge (initial screen).

If you can, please remove my current London Speed Challenge time of 1:04.412 as this was done in another car (as mentioned earlier).
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

jial
Developer

Post#59 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 am

Hi, I deleted your time. About blank new time trial, all published are.

Thanks for all, and if you find any error, or you know something to make it more similar to original website please tell me.

:)

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#60 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:12 am

Thanks for deleting this Jial (sorry I should have said San Francisco not London, but you removed the right one).

I see that the Speed Challenge ranking now pulls data off the main save file (it automatically updated all my individual course and total times, except for Tokyo which was already uploaded). Well done on doing this.

I also downloaded the two ghosts and had no issues in racing them (apart from finding out how much slower I have become in the last decade). I know sometimes ghost cars can become corrupt and start crashing/driving into the wall. PS Here are the original runs that created these two ghost files:

I'll have a closer look at the New Time Trials & World Time Trials in the next few days