Metropolis Street is Racer Back Online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Re: Metropolis Street Racer Back Online!

Post#91 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:13 am

Just some notes after playing MSR the last few days:

* APOCALYPSE STREET RACER. I've found another Time Trial bug in the earlier PAL versions. Create a Time Trial, choose "Random Weather" and start a race. The sky will be ash black and all lighting is switched off, even at night. The game will continue until you press Start, where it'll either hang or reset back to the boot screen. This does not happen in the final revisions (including the US version) as the random weather option is removed. Here's a screenshot:

* The instances of "ghost car crashing" seem to increase if you created a ghost on one version of the game and race it on another. In my case, the 2nd PAL revision and the US version. However it may also be caused by potential "minor timing differences" between the PAL/US versions (even though they can both run at 60 hz). I note the US version image on my TV is shifted more to the right.

* I used an Xploder DC to try and force "foggy" Time Trials to stay foggy when a ghost gets saved. Sadly it did not work although I did manage to get rain and fog at once during play!

* Finally I dug up an old email (2010/11) from someone who posted times on the original MSR ranking within Dreamarena. This is what they said about the New Time Trials:

"I'm not sure how many MSR rankings there were. There were definitely ones for the Speed Challenge courses, but as far as I recall the "new time trials" never came to fruition. Some times on all online rankings were hacked (e.g. Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast, Ferrari 355 and possibly others) which is probably why few games had them. Certainly after it came to light about times being hacked, Sega and MSR's development team stopped handing out prizes - possibly why the new time trials never came to be :("
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

jial
Developer

Post#92 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:46 am

The hacking issue was a recurrent problem in serveral games with rankings. this is due because savegame files were not encrypted to protect them. An example is samba de amigo use same encryption that pso.

I hope that all people doesn´t try to hack their times and we can get a fair play leaderboards

:)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#93 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Woop woop! Nice work on getting the leaderboard coding up and running Jial! Glad this finally got back online.

jial
Developer

Post#94 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Roareye wrote:Woop woop! Nice work on getting the leaderboard coding up and running Jial! Glad this finally got back online.

Roareye the merit is yours too, you made all image reconstructions and html layout. This creature is part of your very good work too. Thanks for helping :)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#95 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks man! So glad to be able to help restore the scene. Looking forward to more games being recovered :)

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#96 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:03 am

Sega Rally 2 and F355 online leaderboards etc would be awesome.

jial
Developer

Post#97 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:10 am

Sega rally 2 I don't know if there is any html file from original website. F355 is possible to get it back

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#98 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 am

jial wrote:Sega rally 2 I don't know if there is any html file from original website. F355 is possible to get it back

F355 would be great - IIRC you could also download the ghosts of other users from the leaderboards which you could see on the track and race against.

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#99 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 am

Went on the MSR website yesterday and uploaded my new Kudos score with no issues at all.

I also uploaded a time for the new time trials.

Website also seemed to be running a lot quicker with very few hang ups.

jial
Developer

Post#100 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:14 am

I'm glad to hear that, if there is not any bugs along next week , I will release all source code saturday. Cheers