Setting up DC w/ Netzero

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Paragordius
shadow

Setting up DC w/ Netzero

Post#1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:43 pm

So I just bought a cheap Netzero account for SCHTHACK PSO, but I can't seem to connect to the internet. Whenever I try Planetweb 3.0 Google Ed. I get the same error: there is no answer from that number. I've tried many different access numbers, but no luck. I've tried entering the user name as just "xxxxx" and "[email protected]", but neither seem to work. Do I have to do something different with the password? Also, could that error be anything else?

Any help would make my day...

Impulse
Admin

Re: Setting up DC w/ Netzero

Post#2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Ahhh! Netzero/Juno does not work on Dreamcast. You might be able to get it working if you use this encryption on your username and password. http://web.archive.org/web/20040302074911/www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/juno.shtml
-Impulse

Paragordius
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Okay, I tried to encode the user/pass, but I got the same results; no answer.

Then I signed up for a VTISP account and tried that. Same.

What else could be the cause? I read somewhere that the length of the phone line makes a difference, but my DC is hooked up to a 25ft. cable straight to the jack.

Is this a possible modem malfunction?

Oh, one thing I forgot to add- whenever I save settings in Planetweb, it saves them, but boots me out to the system menu. Is this normal? Also, whenever I try to change the settings in PW, it freezes and I 'm left looking at the system menu (ugh). I forgot to mention that in my first post, sorry. To input new settings I have to use flash cleaner to wipe the memory; this seems that's the only way I can reconfigure my info in PW.

Impulse
Admin

Post#4 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Is that 25ft cable the long one that comes with the DC? If so, it should be fine I used to use it too.

What PW ver. are you using? Try using another version. We have PW 3.0 mod here for download. And there is the XDP browser.
-Impulse

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 am

Both the PW3.0 Smith/Google version and XDP work perfect.

I have an innocent question just to verify what you are working with...
Do you have VoIP or standard "POTS" analogue phone service?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Paragordius
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:12 am

As far as I know I have POTS; att hooked it up last week.

I'll try a different browser tomorrow- I seem to have run out of CD-Rs :P

lisalover1
rebel

Post#7 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

I used Juno as a free service for a while; it worked like crap. The connection never stayed for longer than 30 seconds, and it was a massive pain to set up. One of the problems I had was actually not being able to enter the encrypted username and password. The trick is to use different browsers and tools to ultimately set up the connection. Good luck, dude.

Impulse
Admin

Post#8 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 pm

lisalover1 wrote:The trick is to use different browsers and tools to ultimately set up the connection. Good luck, dude.

Could you tell us what other tools you used? Are they the tools dchelp used to host for Juno? What browser did you use?
-Impulse

Paragordius
shadow

Post#9 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Okay, I switched ISP's to VTISP and put in my user info in PW 3, but it did not connect. I then downloaded XDP and it connected to the internet, but not to the SCHTHACK servers, so I went to check my internet settings in XDP and I get an error that says Warning: Flash read error (it's red text at the bottom of the internet settings page). SO, I used a flash memory cleaner to wipe the memory and REINPUT the settings via XDP, and I still get the same error and it says that I have to configure my ISP info, even though I already have. XDP won't connect, and I think it's because of this flash error. Is there any special way in XDP to input user info? Do I need to fill the blank spaces with anything?

This stinks.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#10 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:31 pm

I'd check with your provider to see if they are looking for some magical "newer" encryption or something. They must have records to connecting with a Dreamcast.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs