How Does Sever Restoration Work?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Banditpaw1
rebel

How Does Sever Restoration Work?

Post#1 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:03 pm

So after reading about it and ordering what I needed for dreampi I got to wondering what the process for online server restoration is. I find its interesting and was wondering if anyone can either link me to or explain to me how its essentially done?

Any insight is much appreciated thanks!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: How Does Sever Restoration Work?

Post#2 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:07 pm

You can read my interview with Shuouma here in which he explains the basic process. Basically lots of studying packets and assembler code and trial and error.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:12 pm

sometimes there are packet logs and even information as to how the server worked (i.e encryptions used, ports and protocols used, etc) either way its reverse engineering and very few can do this. in some dc games the packet data is all found in hex in the 1st read bin etc..maybe you get lucky and get some of the information, source.. from a former software dev that worked for the company who created the game server. And maybe there are examples you can use from a pc version of the game. Rarely is the server publicly released and available to download.

Banditpaw1
rebel

Post#4 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info/links It made for an quite an interesting read!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:44 pm

Sure did.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs