Wow, Dreamcast online in 2020? Where do I start?!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nicknicknickx
noob

Wow, Dreamcast online in 2020? Where do I start?!

Post#1 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 pm

When I heard from some people in the X-Band group on FB that Dreamcast was online and active in 2020...I got super excited. When the official online service was discontinued, it sent me into a deep depression lol.

However, I'm starting from scratch and need help getting setup. I don't even have my Dreamcast anymore, or any of my games, but I am super interested in joining the community.

I was hoping for some guidance on where to pick a Dreamcast up nowadays, including games, and where to go from there. I'd check the local classic game stores but they're closed at the moment due to the whole COVID thing.

Help!? This is awesome by the way...It brings me joy to know I could play the original Phantasy Star Online and Quake 3 online again!!!

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Re: Wow, Dreamcast online in 2020? Where do I start?!

Post#2 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:17 am

Hello and welcome!

It might be helpful to know whereabouts you are as this might influence your buying options. If you're looking to get back online (and you certainly should!), DreamPi is your best option. You can find a tutorial here.

You're going to need a Raspberry Pi, a USB modem and either make or buy a Line Voltage Inducer. it's a small investment (~$80) to get all in, though if you're like me and had a Pi lying around anyway, this will reduce the cost. Then it's just installing some simple software, sorting out your DMZ and you're in!

Good luck on your journey, get in contact with us if you need any further support. Look forward to seeing you online soon!
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#3 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:41 am

nicknicknickx wrote:When I heard from some people in the X-Band group on FB that Dreamcast was online and active in 2020...I got super excited. When the official online service was discontinued, it sent me into a deep depression lol.

However, I'm starting from scratch and need help getting setup. I don't even have my Dreamcast anymore, or any of my games, but I am super interested in joining the community.

I was hoping for some guidance on where to pick a Dreamcast up nowadays, including games, and where to go from there. I'd check the local classic game stores but they're closed at the moment due to the whole COVID thing.

Help!? This is awesome by the way...It brings me joy to know I could play the original Phantasy Star Online and Quake 3 online again!!!

Pleased to meet you nick and welcome to the DC community.

eBay is your friend for finding a dreamcast. A Dreampi is a must to get online. Its simple and so easy once setup.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Anonymouse wrote:A Dreampi is a must to get online.

:lol:

why do you think so?
i'm use PC-DC and play all games

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm

nicknicknckx...glad you're here man.i think i spoke to you on the xband fb group..i'm justin...ncman071 here.....but yea just need a dreamcast, dreampi and you'll be set bro!

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:08 pm

nicknicknickx wrote:When I heard from some people in the X-Band group on FB that Dreamcast was online and active in 2020...I got super excited. When the official online service was discontinued, it sent me into a deep depression lol.

i use a device called a GDEMU clone, it cost me about 65 bucks and is an optical drive emulator so you can play your games off of an SD card. itll save you a bunch of money and time i do have the discs also because i like physical media but this thing saves em from scratches and is just handy. heres a link to show you what its about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sran6frc0gY i bought my clone off ebay

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm

As Megavolt85 posted above, you don't need a Raspberry Pi you can use a normal computer. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12731#p127712

louis012345678
Doom

Post#8 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:00 pm

deluxux wrote:As Megavolt85 posted above, you don't need a Raspberry Pi you can use a normal computer. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12731#p127712

That's what I use since my pi arrived faulty and I got a refund for it...

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#9 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:17 am

deluxux wrote:As Megavolt85 posted above, you don't need a Raspberry Pi you can use a normal computer. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12731#p127712

Im using it for years since 2016 i think.
From love, with Russia :)