PSO Setup Help

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

VirusVox
shadow

PSO Setup Help

Post#1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Hey all, sorry for two posts back to back, but I'm kind of in the dark and haven't found a good guide on this.

My PC-DC server is setup, and PSO is up and running. I'm trying to figure out how I tell PSO what servers to connect to (Aiming to get on Sylverant or the DC-Talk server). Basically I just need a little bit of guidance on where to go from here to get it up and running.

Thank you all again,
-VirusVox

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: PSO Setup Help

Post#2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi VirusVox, Im surprised to hear people still interested in going for the PC-DC server method since setup and using DreamPi is almost effortless.

Im sure there will be people on here who can guide you though. Im afraid I am unable to advise.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Since you're using the PC-DC server, using the PSO patcher disc as a boot disc will probably be easiest. https://sourceforge.net/projects/sylverant/files/
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

VirusVox
shadow

Post#4 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:48 pm

I wanted to go for the DreamPi, but at the time I didn't have the funds available. With the Canadian Dollar being very weak, a DreamPi 3 and shipping would come out to around $160. Once the Standard Kit is back in stock I'm going to upgrade to that.

Thanks for the disc link SEGA RPG FAN!
Last edited by VirusVox on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VirusVox
shadow

Post#5 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:51 pm

I have the download from said link, but honestly I have no clue what to do with it. Any guidance on that part?

azel
fire

Post#6 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Download the CDI version there which is a discjuggler image file and burn it. Even better, download Ives fixed CDI from PSO Palace which is pre patched with a bunch of fixes including more efficient file place placement to decrease wear on GD-ROM drive and faster loading among other things.

Code: Select all

Phantasy Star Online Ver.2
NTSC-U Selfboot & Auto-Connect
Aleron Ives Edition 4.0
April 4, 2015
http://psopalace.funurl.com

===

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
II. How to Burn the Disc
III. Disc Features
IV. Credits

===

I. Introduction

Welcome to Aleron Ives's Dreamcast PSO Ver.2 selfboot auto-connect disc tutorial. Thank you for downloading this release. Please seed the torrent once your download is finished so that other people will have the opportunity to download the game as well. I have spent a lot of time trying to improve this disc as much as possible, so I hope you enjoy it. Because this disc was made with the NTSC-U ("US") version of PSO Ver.2, it is compatible with unique NTSC-U serial numbers and access keys. Players who have a unique serial number and access key from their USv2 GD-ROM case can create new characters using this disc without needing a shared serial number and access key.

Unlike discs based on the PAL edition of PSO Ver.2, this disc contains a configuration screen for the Dreamcast broadband adapter, which can be accessed by selecting the "Website" option on the title screen when a broadband adapter is connected. This screen was removed from the PAL edition of PSO Ver.2, since the broadband adapter was not released in Europe. This screen allows PSO Ver.2 to configure the broadband adapter directly, which eliminates the need to use a Dreamcast web browser (such as XDP) to configure the Dreamcast's broadband settings.

===

II. How to Burn the Disc

The disc image is in Padus DiscJuggler format (*.cdi). I believe Alcohol 120% may be able to burn CDI files, but I recommend using DiscJuggler. I have been using version 4 to rip and burn Dreamcast images, but this is no longer the current version. If you want to use the same version I use, I have it in the Dreamcast downloads section of my site.

If you are unfamiliar with burning Dreamcast images, I have this burning tutorial, along with DiscJuggler 4 screenshots, in the "Guides" section of my website.

1) Once you have installed DiscJuggler, run it and select "File" -> "New".
2) In the "New Task" window, select "Burn CD and DVD images" and click "OK".
3) In the Source & Destination tab, click the disc on top of the white sheet icon which has a tooltip saying "Browse". Select the image "IVES_PSOV2_US_R2.cdi" (duh? =P) and click "OK".
4) Click on the "Advanced" tab.
5) Change the "Mode" box from Audio to "Mode 2".
6) Under "Misc", check the "RAW write" box, and ensure that "Add post-gap to 3rd party images" is also checked. No other boxes should be checked.
7) Under "Method", change the speed to 4X (see note below).
8) Click Start to begin burning.

-NOTE-

In the DiscJuggler trial, burning speed is automatically limited to 4X as one of the demo's restrictions, so it doesn't actually matter what burning speed you select. If you have the full version of the program with no restrictions, it is very important to select 4X recording speed. Discs that are burned at high speeds are more difficult to read than discs burned at low speeds. Modern optical drives do not have problems reading discs that have been burned quickly, but the Dreamcast's GD-ROM is not good at reading such discs. If you burn the disc too quickly, it is very likely that it will be unreadable in the Dreamcast. As such, burning at 4X is imperative for a good disc. It will take approximately twenty minutes to burn the disc at 4X, so go grab a snack or watch television or something while you wait. =P

Once the burn process is complete, try the disc!

===

III. Disc Features

Several changes have been made to this disc, but the main feature of this disc is that it's the first CDI release of PSO Ver.2 to be free from the crashing problems that have plagued all previous releases of the game. Unlike its predecessors, this disc does not freeze when loading player data outside of Pioneer 2. As a result, the following activities are now possible for the first time without using a retail GD-ROM of the game:

1) Playing in open teams

You can now play in teams without a password, as your game won't freeze if another player joins your team when you're not on Pioneer 2.

2) Playing the offline quests

You can now play the offline quests without freezing when the game loads NPC data outside of Pioneer 2.

3) Playing Challenge mode

You can now play Challenge mode without freezing at the beginning of each stage.

After extensive research and testing, we finally have a CD-R release of PSO Ver.2 that matches the original GD-ROM in terms of game stability. With this disc, you no longer need to use your US GD-ROM at all, and if you would normally be using a PAL or JP GD-ROM, the only time you would need your original disc is to take a new character online for the very first time. Any PSO Ver.2 character that has been online at least once is fully compatible with this disc.

Other features of this disc include:

1) Auto-connection

This disc is patched to automatically connect to the Sylverant PSO Server. PSO normally requires CodeBreaker codes or special configuration of the broadband adapter to connect to private servers, but this disc will connect automatically. No codes or boot discs are required.

2) Fast loading

This disc is optimized to load character data faster than a GD-ROM would. This prolongs the life of the Dreamcast hardware by eliminating the grinding of the GD-ROM drive that normally occurs when loading character data on PSO Ver.2. This disc contains an improved character loading scheme that is even more efficient than the one used in my previous PSO Ver.2 discs.

This disc is also specially formatted to decrease the seeking during loading screens, which is normally worse on a PSO Ver.2 GD-ROM than on a PSO Ver.1 GD-ROM. The effeciency of the sound test and web browser were reduced to maximize the in-game loading efficiency, but both features still work, although the web browser boots slowly. The configuration screen for the broadband adapter still boots quickly (when a broadband adapter is connected instead of a modem).

3) Improved sound

All of the game's BGM has been upgraded to use the 44.1 kHz BGM from the Xbox version, instead of the 32 kHz BGM contained on the Dreamcast GD-ROM. The "La-La" version of "Can Still See The Light" (the game's ending music) has also been replaced with the lyric version. This disc also replaces two of the unused BGM files with the BGM for Spaceship and Palace, which allows the correct BGM to play in Spaceship and Palace quests which occur outside of Battle mode.

4) Ultimate Map Fix

This disc contains the Ultimate Map Fix to allow quests which use the previously broken maps (such as Famitsu -Maximum Attack-) to be playable in Ultimate mode, which is not possible on a GD-ROM without using a boot disc to patch the game in memory.

5) Hunter's License patch

The Hunter's License check is disabled on this disc to allow the game to go online without using codes or boot discs.

6) Removed content

In order to accomodate the other features within the space constraints of a CD-R, the French, German, Japanese, and Spanish intro movies have been removed. The English intro movie will play regardless of which language is selected, but it is still at full quality.

===

IV. Credits

This disc would not have been possible without the help of the following individuals.

-Echelon: for their many tools and tutorials for Dreamcast ripping and copying.
-Lee: for devising a method to study how to improve the loading times, as well as for devising a method to obtain unpacked PSO Ver.2 binaries.
-Leo: for discovering the MAG'94 binary encryption technique.

I would also like to thank everyone who still plays this game and who has downloaded or decides to download this disc. It's been a few years since I released my last Dreamcast disc, but I knew that discovering a way to make PSO Ver.2 work on CD-Rs without freezing warranted making a new release. I didn't expect that I would be the first person to fix this problem (especially considering how many other people have made discs for this game before I did), but it's satisfying to finally have the infamous CD-R FSOD problem fixed. I hope people enjoy this disc and put it to good use. At last we can bid our GD-ROMs farewell and enjoy the benefits of increased loading speed and decreased motor stress that using a properly sorted copy of PSO Ver.2 brings to the Dreamcast.

Don't forget to visit my site and drop by my forum if you're enjoying this release! ;)

http://psopalace.funurl.com

VirusVox
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Perfect, thanks a ton Azel!

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Im surprised to hear people still interested in going for the PC-DC server method since setup and using DreamPi is almost effortless.

A properly configured PC-DC works the same as DreamPI

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:52 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:Im surprised to hear people still interested in going for the PC-DC server method since setup and using DreamPi is almost effortless.

A properly configured PC-DC works the same as DreamPI

That's mostly true. Dreampi does have a few game specific fixes that go beyond DNS redirects.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Dreampi does have a few game specific fixes that go beyond DNS redirects.

i'm use script from DreamPI on my PC-DC ;) it's work same as DreamPI