Help with Quake III arena, No response from master server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gocha
letterbomb

Help with Quake III arena, No response from master server

Post#1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

Hi everyone, I tried to evade posting this here by asking people around, but I had no answer to my problem.

I'm using a burned copy of Quake III arena, but im pretty sure is a working one as Mechanic told me he tried using the same without any problem, the problem is the following:

I try to connect to the server, it dials de connection, but when it scans the internet for servers it says "no response from master server" (almost sure that's exactly what it says, but I'm not in my house right now).
I tried also writing the address manually at the info options to the right, but it has no response.

One weird thing that happens is that when I try to connect to the server my Wifi shuts down for a few seconds, which is for me the weirdest part of this problem.

More information about my connection:
- Im using a raspberry pi model B+ with the most recent version of dreampi, connected with a homemade line voltage inducer, connected to the internet by Wifi (cant connect it to ethernet, cos it is just too far away from the router, on another room, I could check if it is posible to connect it buying a longer cable, but it is not my priority right now) and the connection works for other games like PSO where I can play without problems.
- One interest thing is that when I try to connect to PSO without the patcher disc the wifi connection shuts down too.
- I have no idea if this problem occurs with other games cos I just got my drempi working this week
- I think the DMZ is correctly set, but this should not be a problem with Q3 as far as I know.
- I know I´m not the first one with this problem, but I dont know if anyone before me was able to solve it.

Please Super 80's Hackerman, if you are anywhere close answer the call for justice and help me solve my problem!

Mechanic
Vagabond

Re: Help with Quake III arena, No response from master server

Post#2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Yeah this is strange . Maybe a currupt dreampi install ? Maybe try to reinstall dreampi.
Last edited by Mechanic on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italian Stallion

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Of course try the other games before reinstalling Dreampi. Also make sure your dns's is 0.0.0.0 for primary and secondary in the q3 connection screen since pi handles the dns for all the games. With that said, I've nerver tried the pi with wfi. PCwizard would be the man to ask about the wifi issue. Maybe send him a pm.
Italian Stallion

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm

If that does not work, please try 46.101.91.123 as a secondary DNS and 8.8.8.8 if 0.0.0.0 fails for primary DNS. I use 8.8.8.8 and 46.101.91.123 on both Dreamcast consoles and they connect to all games
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#5 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Bob, so you are saying that I should change de DNS from 0.0.0.0 and 0.0.0.0 from the primary and secondary to 46.101.91.123 and 8.8.8.8 respectibly?

I'll try it out, but what should this do?

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#6 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:19 pm

I can connect to the server with the DNS that you gave me, but again, al scanning for servers it gives me the same "no response from master server". the wifi connection shuts down too.

I asked PCwizard yesterday during his stream, but he had no clue, im thinking about some kind of problem with the configuration of my router, since its really weird that the connection shuts down when scaning for servers.

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Gocha wrote:I can connect to the server with the DNS that you gave me, but again, al scanning for servers it gives me the same "no response from master server". the wifi connection shuts down too.

I asked PCwizard yesterday during his stream, but he had no clue, im thinking about some kind of problem with the configuration of my router, since its really weird that the connection shuts down when scaning for servers.

If after setting DNS it still doesn't work, something on your network could be using the port you need. Try disconnecting all devices except dreampi and see if that works. If not then maybe a firewall setting blocking it on your router.

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#8 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm

changing the DNS does not change the problem, also it keep rebooting my Wifi every time I try, so I really think it has something to do with the router anr/or firewall, megavolt85 suggested I could try with the PAL version of the game, but I dont have the ROM of it, I'll try to find it on the internet.

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#9 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:59 pm

So, using a PAL CDI version of the game didn't solve the problem, if anyone has another suggestion of what could I try I would appreciate it.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#10 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 pm

did you try to connect to a server manually?