Pi woes

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TigerMacZ
undertow

Pi woes

Post#1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi

Been worknig on a dream pi but im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

i downlaoded the image and used the tool to write it to an sd card, only when i try to configure the wifi on it it says the wifi adapters arent on and i have to configure the country for them

also dreamcast now isnt detecting the pi even though i've typed the ip address so i havent got a clue what to do.

its a rasp pi 3b +

any suggestions?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Pi woes

Post#2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Just friendly advice, the built in WiFi adapter on Pi is pretty horrible from what I hear. Unless you're using an usb wifi dongle I would highly recommend Ethernet directly to the router if possible to avoid lag.

Here's a step by step tutorial for dreampi wifi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kcZ_A92BY

Alternatively he has a wifi program thats built into the latest dream 1.7 image you can use as well. Instructions found here viewtopic.php?t=9983

TigerMacZ
undertow

Post#3 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 pm

I tried that and the other dream pi set up video xiden

But it comes back to country is not set, i go into rasp-config cant find adapter, dont know if its connecting via my ethernet cause i go to dreamcast online and it says it cant detect it even though i used the ip address the pi gave me.

when i come to the raspberry pi itself im a complete newcomer.
Attachments
IMG_20190807_200118077.jpg

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm

TigerMacZ wrote:I tried that and the other dream pi set up video xiden

But it comes back to country is not set, i go into rasp-config cant find adapter, dont know if its connecting via my ethernet cause i go to dreamcast online and it says it cant detect it even though i used the ip address the pi gave me.

when i come to the raspberry pi itself im a complete newcomer.

I've never tried the Wi-Fi setup myself, you might send a PM with that info to PCWzrd13 :) He should be able to easily troubleshoot that for ya

As far as it not being able to find the pi, can you login to your router and see the Dreampi IP Address there? Although its probably unlikely, I'm wondering if maybe there's possibly a IP conflict

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Well first off, the Pi isn't detected by DC Now because you don't have a USB modem. DreamPi won't boot up without it.

As for the Wi-Fi, are you using the DreamPi 1.7 DLE image from Dreamcast Live? That includes the latest Wi-Fi configuration utility with support for country codes. Previous versions don't support that and my video tutorial doesn't mention it because it was made before the 3B+ was released (the 3 B+ is the only Pi model that needs it). Anyway, if you're on 1.7 DLE, just run "sudo wificonfig". You'll have options to add a network and add a country code.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

TigerMacZ
undertow

Post#6 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:07 am

It was the 1.7 DLE image i tried the sudo wifi config but it kept on saying country code not set or it couldnt find the modules.

you think there might be an issue with the image itself? Because it kept on stopping saying downlaod failed and i had to keep restarting to downlaod it all?

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:56 am

even with the wifi dongle, its not great

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm

TigerMacZ wrote:It was the 1.7 DLE image i tried the sudo wifi config but it kept on saying country code not set or it couldnt find the modules.

I'm not sure TBH. I know it works with the 3 B+ as tested it with a kit I sent out to someone. Just entered the network first, went back in an entered the country code, and then restarted the Pi. I suppose the image could be corrupted considering your download issues but I think it's fairly unlikely.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Return to “Online”