Observation about DreamPi 1.6 Vs 1.7

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Observation about DreamPi 1.6 Vs 1.7

Post#1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 am

I think I got good instructions on how to easily prepare Dreampi using an OS 10.9 Macintosh computer (they are currently at 10.14) using a free program called Apple Pi Baker.

There are 2 questions I have about it. 1) Is the .IMG file uncompressed and therefore shows their tree sizes? 2) if processed right, if you look at the DreamPi bootdisk, should it not be ust one .IMG file, but should it be broken down into quite a few files with quite a few extensions?

If the answer to both is "yes", then I noticed 2 things.

1) The Unix command screen doesn't appear when DreamPi 1.7 SD card is plugged into the Pi 1B and either the HDMI cable OR the Composite cable to a CRT TV. If it's a black screen, then there is something fundamentally wrong with the Unix structure where it can't produce a command line screen.

2) if both .IMG files represent the true size, then why is DreamPi 1.6 sized at about 2.7 GB, yet DreamPi 1.7, which supposedly should have more code to deal with the Virtual Concepts' Ooga Booga, NFL, NBA, and NCAA games weighs in at a slim 1.9 GB.

Are there so many more code efficiencies introduced where even though you added 6 games, you cut out 800 MB or about a CD's worth of data? Or is the something missing in 1.7 that should be therefrom 1.6.?

I'm going to reflash 1.6, the last stable version and see if it works tomorrow morning. If it does then I'll reflash 1.7 and give a list of files, compare to 1.6 and see what files need to be added, if it's a case of a missing file in 1.7> If all the files in one are in the other, except 1.7 has more files then I have no idea why 1.7 does't work.

Good night, more by Noon ET Wednesday.

If 1.7 were working, does 1.7 have the Visual Concepts games not in 1.6? If so, get cracking on 1.7.1.

Oner last thing, I heard there was a never released game form Visual Concepts. it had somehting to do with head-to-head card games. Since it was never released, will these be avaliable somehow, and 2) If it's freeware, and you don't have a GD-R burner or a GD R blank, will someone produce real GD-Roms for it, or can you burn a CD-R and use DC-X to boot it properly?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Observation about DreamPi 1.6 Vs 1.7

Post#2 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 am

Selfboot cuz why not?

dcnigma
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm

I flashed my pi images on my mac using Etcher now BalenaEtchet
https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Never got a problem flashing images that way, never used other program.
But 10.9 don't know if it runs so low I am 10.14 and gonna try 10.15 beta soon.

I also noticed the size reduction to, there reason could be its more optimized version now.
Found some left over test code in 1.7 maybe there are more testing things in 1.6 would explain why its bigger.

My Pi 2 boots up correct shows everything I use Hdmi to check but at the moment its running stable here.
So no need for a video output. I use SSH if I want to change thing on it.

Because the file size is less then 2GB I flashed it on a 2 GB card no problems. Yes true file size.
Been running it about a week, I updated the OS and still no issues..
So 1.7 is working fine for me.
The Unix command screen doesn't appear when DreamPi 1.7 SD card is plugged

Do you get the rainbow screen if you start your pi?
Otherwise you did't flash it correct and best re-flash it. Also what is your led status? Red no leds led and green.

2) if both .IMG files represent the true size, then why is DreamPi 1.6 sized at about 2.7 GB, yet DreamPi 1.7, which supposedly should have more code to deal with the Virtual Concepts' Ooga Booga, NFL, NBA, and NCAA games weighs in at a slim 1.9 GB.

From my understanding how dreampi works is it only uses the pi to let your dreamcast connect to the modem.
Then it will only relay the traffic and will use the custom DNS 46.101.91.123 at this IP address every game will get
redirected to the correct server (other ips) also If you are connect it will start communicating with dreamcast.online
and give your status. That is all what dreampi will do its not a server. And i guess there are no game server tools on it.
Maybe for testing and that would explain why 1.6 is bigger. But that is what I have observed about dreampi.

I also found some minor issues when I want to use my Dreampi (Pal Dreamcast)

Now I know the issues and workarounds for it I can connect with out a issue.

When I boot my PI I need to respect a strict boot sequence:

First disconnect my Line inducer from power (if connected).
Then I connect the Pi to the power
Most of the time I start ping command to check if it comes online.
If I get my first ping reply I stop the ping and start SSH and check the log.

Code: Select all

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

At this time I also connect my Modem. Found out that if I left it connect
DreamPi could not always find the modem but if i do it after boot it works every time.
When the log reads:
I connect the Line inducer.
Then grab my controller and go onine :mrgreen:

hope this helps
Check out my website http://dcnigma.eu5.org just a personal blog/website.
To keep track of my projects, Arcade Cabinets, Dreamcast mods, Raspberry Pi mods, Software, Design,
Homebrew Games, Rom Hacks, 3D prints, Strange things and many more :D :D :D

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:33 am

The Rainbow screen did NOT come on. Instead it flasherd white for like a frame or 2 when plugged into the Component output to my CRT TV. Then it remained Black The screen did flash white when power was added last after the modem, Keyboard, ethernet TV Hookup and Dial up cable.

So it didn't Flash right.

I see your link, and I have both etcher and LATER i tried Apple Pi Baker BECAUSE Etcher wasn't working. Apple-Pi baker has no insturciotns on how to do this. Raspberry Pi has no MNAc AND DreamPi spicific instrucitons.

@dcinigma, maybe you'd like to give instructions on how to flash using Etcher. I can't figure out how to Flash a DreamPi IMG using Etcher. Heck, you can get Dreamcastic to post a link on DreamPi IMG flashing on macintosh if YOU make instructions as either a webpage or a YouTube Video.

Also Dreamcastic's YouTube DreamPi install video only has both pictorial AND DreamPi-speciifc instructions for PC. I'd like to see a video link for Macintosh. The current link he gives is too cryptic to follow, because you need some Terminal knowledge to do this right,and it talks about too many extraneous things and I don't want to know all possible things, just enough to Flash a DreamPi SD Img.

As to why I have 10.9? Most things run in 10.9 except websites in Safari, but that's what Chrome is for. By the way, this is a secondary computer. My primary computer is 10.14, but it's real slow. and might be on its last legs, because the Computer is a 2013 iMac, and is due for an upgrade. The 10.9 computer is a max memory, max operating system for a 2008 iMac.

dcnigma
lithium

Post#5 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:24 pm

tripletopper wrote:The Rainbow screen did NOT come on. Instead it flasherd white for like a frame or 2 when plugged into the Component output to my CRT TV. Then it remained Black The screen did flash white when power was added last after the modem, Keyboard, ethernet TV Hookup and Dial up cable.

So it didn't Flash right.

I see your link, and I have both etcher and LATER i tried Apple Pi Baker BECAUSE Etcher wasn't working. Apple-Pi baker has no insturciotns on how to do this. Raspberry Pi has no MNAc AND DreamPi spicific instrucitons.

@dcinigma, maybe you'd like to give instructions on how to flash using Etcher. I can't figure out how to Flash a DreamPi IMG using Etcher. Heck, you can get Dreamcastic to post a link on DreamPi IMG flashing on macintosh if YOU make instructions as either a webpage or a YouTube Video.

Also Dreamcastic's YouTube DreamPi install video only has both pictorial AND DreamPi-speciifc instructions for PC. I'd like to see a video link for Macintosh. The current link he gives is too cryptic to follow, because you need some Terminal knowledge to do this right,and it talks about too many extraneous things and I don't want to know all possible things, just enough to Flash a DreamPi SD Img.

As to why I have 10.9? Most things run in 10.9 except websites in Safari, but that's what Chrome is for. By the way, this is a secondary computer. My primary computer is 10.14, but it's real slow. and might be on its last legs, because the Computer is a 2013 iMac, and is due for an upgrade. The 10.9 computer is a max memory, max operating system for a 2008 iMac.

Sure It's super easy to use Etcher but ok...
I have written a tutorial for you on my website here is the perma link:
http://dcnigma.eu5.org/?p=1142

Apparently Kazade got Quake 3 running again :-D

See you there :-D
Check out my website http://dcnigma.eu5.org just a personal blog/website.
To keep track of my projects, Arcade Cabinets, Dreamcast mods, Raspberry Pi mods, Software, Design,
Homebrew Games, Rom Hacks, 3D prints, Strange things and many more :D :D :D

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#6 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Just looked up your instructions. You said a specific order works for PAL. I have NTSC-USA. Is there a diffference in the way to do it for NTSC-US.

Making thingsd complicated, I also acquired a weird custom Pi 1B jerryrigged with a wire coming from the USB B Micro female, coming out through the corner of the HDMI hole, so I don’t know if the HDMI hole still works or not,. Luckily I got a composite hole.

Now the power wire goes to some sort of Silly Putty Egg. I don’t want to open it and risk it not supposed to be open and there’s a wire that Y’s to 2 single-ended wires of a Phone jack.

I don’t know if I can disconnect the Line Power Inducer, because it’s hard wired into DreamPi

By the way. Thanks for the suggestion of plugging in the Dreampi and a USB keyboard and then the Power and that’s it to test the Unix command screen.

The only reason I’ve been asking is because I’ve been having problems getting the Unix Command Screen appearing. If I get the Unix command, then I know I got step one, Flashing the DreamPi ROM, right.