DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Re: DreamPi help needed:Macintosh, running Pi, and Vonets device

Post#11 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 pm

First Mazo, thank you, but I found another one called balenaEtcher, and AFAICT it works. The only problem is I got to add Sega Swirl Gmail email info and maybe (not sure because the Dreamcastic video says the info is for USB based Wi Fi devices, not Ethernet based ones) either getting my WiFiPi running and/or setting my DMZ settings.

What makes the DMZ hard is the some models of the Frontier Netgear 7550 have DMZ and another feature switched, and some do not, Plus I don't know what feature it's swapped with. Add to that the Frontier does not do technical support without charging for gaming devices, and there is no more 1-800-USA-SEGA for SegaNet.

Finally a question about DreamPI and Apple command line. I believe Terminal is the command line form of OSX, which uses Unix as a root and builds upon it. I would be probably less likely to make mistakes if I can transfer the WiFiPi and Swirl Gmail information using the Macintosh. 99% less likely to cause typos.

Also let's use the convention of white text as literal text to copy and paste verbatim, and red text as placeholder text where I have to replace it with some variable text. If more people used that standard, then learning coding would be easier, instead of trying to figure out what needs changed,and what MUST stay there.

Can those 2 files be dragged and dropped in via GUI directly, AND THEN FROM THERE be manipulated by Terminal? is there a slightly different code working from a Mac to the boot SD vs directly on the Dremapi via the HDMI?

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#12 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:03 pm

I thought I flashed it in with Etcher, but apparently, the USB modem has its green lights come on for like 0.2 seconds and then disappear. But one green light stays on when plugged into the Macintosh and there's no dial up connection. So the modem isn't broken, just when attached to the dreampi.

The error says no dial tone.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#13 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:56 am

All right, but when I plug the Pi into the HDMI, there's no text editing. It's a totally black screen. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

The only thing I can think of is the size of the card. I got a 4 GB card. Is that enough, or do I need more? And between Etcher< Apple Pi and a couple other suggestions, I don't now what to do.

You're writing instructions to people who remember MS DOS and who have Windows.

The 2 commands I'm wanting to do are the Sega Swirl Gmail command and (not sure if this is appropriate, because the Dreamcastic video says to use a USB based Wi Fi card, and I'm using ethernet based, so I don't know if or how it's different) The WiFiPi program.

After using both Etcher and Apple Pi, the Dreampi, when the 4 GB card is inserted is totally blank when viewed on an HDMI TV. It's getting a signal, but it's all black. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. All I'm getting No Dial Tone errors when trying to to run Dreampi plugged into the dreamcast. I need a lot of help here. :(

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 am

tripletopper wrote:I thought I flashed it in with Etcher, but apparently, the USB modem has its green lights come on for like 0.2 seconds and then disappear. But one green light stays on when plugged into the Macintosh and there's no dial up connection. So the modem isn't broken, just when attached to the dreampi.

The error says no dial tone.

There's an existing bug in 1.7 that causes that 2nd light to come on then off a split second. You will have to connect your pi with to your tv with hdmi and connect a keyboard. You can either unplug and replug the device in a few times to get it to work or follow instructions below for a permanent fix.

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewto ... 20#p110933

If you see no image when booting the pi then u have a bad or corrupt image. Use something like Applepi baker to reflash dreampi 1.7

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#15 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:10 pm

First of all, I tried that link, my browser gives me security warnings when accessing the above link, and the web address does show it’s from dreamcast-talk.com.

I still don’t exactly get the steps. I have a a .zip file from loading Dreampi 1.7, and then later I see a .IMG file, so then try using Apple Pi-Baker and it’s asking for a copy of NOOBS, so I download NOOBS then I press the NOOBS button to get the NOOBS image, then press DreamPi 1.7 image pbake in buton, then I bake in the image.

IS that the way it should work? If so, then why do I get blank screens connecting the Pi directly and dial up modems not lighting up?

Which part of the device to I plug in and out a few times? The SD card, the HDMI cable, The Composite Video Cable, the Modem, the keyboard, the USB Power? What exactly do I have to unplug and replug many times?

By the way, is there a way I can use the Macinotsh as an operating table for the DreamPi. I know Apple’s Terminal uses a command-line form of Unix. and it’s a lot easier to copy a command on a website and paste it to terminal. And I know enough to know one typo might ruin a file. (a comical hypothetical example, typing "ruin" instead of "run") Copying and pasting would make it much more sure.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#16 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Hey @Xiden, I found the problem. You forgot the "www." in front, and the security certificate only works when the "www." is included if you type the "https://" I typed dreamcast-talk.com links wihtout using anything in front and got no security issues.

I just copied the address, added the "www." where needed and found it.

I saw the intended web page.

I don't know what’s the better choice, wait for the update, and THEN wait a day to download it, or operate on the ROM with a how-to book in one hand.

Plus my patient is already dead. NOTHING COMES UP on the screen when trying to connect it with EITHER HDMI or Composite video. So I don’t know what to do to jumpstart it except start all over and spend a day downloading the Dreampi 1.7.8 once that comes out.

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm

tripletopper wrote:Hey @Xiden, I found the problem. You forgot the "www." in front, and the security certificate only works when the "www." is included if you type the "https://" I typed dreamcast-talk.com links wihtout using anything in front and got no security issues.

I just copied the address, added the "www." where needed and found it.

I saw the intended web page.

I don't know what’s the better choice, wait for the update, and THEN wait a day to download it, or operate on the ROM with a how-to book in one hand.

Plus my patient is already dead. NOTHING COMES UP on the screen when trying to connect it with EITHER HDMI or Composite video. So I don’t know what to do to jumpstart it except start all over and spend a day downloading the Dreampi 1.7.8 once that comes out.

Are you sure your hdmi cable is good? Are you using a pi 2 or 3?

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#18 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm

1) the HDMI cable works well with an Apple DVI-> HDMI converter, so it’s not the cable. It also doesn’t do it for the composite input.

2) How do I know? I didn’t build it myself. All I know is I got it in a trade with a specific trader on[url]gametz.com[/url]. I traded an Xbox 360 HD DVD player with box, remote, instructions, install DVD which has been obsoleted by future Xbox Live updates on the 360, and an HD DVD King Kong, along with a couple micro titles for a DreamPi.

Either tell me how I can tell if it’s a Pi 2 or a Pi 3, or let me contact my trading partner. ll I know is it’s dead now. In the meantime, let me ask the guy who I traded with.

Xiden
Developer

Post#19 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:19 pm

tripletopper wrote:1) the HDMI cable works well with an Apple DVI-> HDMI converter, so it’s not the cable. It also doesn’t do it for the composite input.

2) How do I know? I didn’t build it myself. All I know is I got it in a trade with a specific trader on[url]gametz.com[/url]. I traded an Xbox 360 HD DVD player with box, remote, instructions, install DVD which has been obsoleted by future Xbox Live updates on the 360, and an HD DVD King Kong, along with a couple micro titles for a DreamPi.

Either tell me how I can tell if it’s a Pi 2 or a Pi 3, or let me contact my trading partner. ll I know is it’s dead now. In the meantime, let me ask the guy who I traded with.

Post a pic of it and I can tell ya.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#20 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Here are my pictures. I couldn’t get a clear shot due to shadows covering the item. if I were to go close and directly on top

0518191539-00.jpg
0518191539-01.jpg
0518191540-00.jpg
0518191544-00.jpg

I couldn’t read te text on the Pi in the picture, so let me transcribe the Pi info printed on the board...

.. The only thing I can see is a Pi copyright date:

C 2012.12