DreamPi Desktop

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: [Release] DreamPi Companion | Favorites update! (RC5)

Post#71 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:10 am

Hmmm. My Next Tetris Online Edition definitely doesn't light for some reason. Again, I'm using a legit disc of the game. Very strange.

Tested PBA Tour Bowling (based on the new version - https://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/pos ... amcast-now) and it's running fine, but shows me as playing PSO and the title doesn't light in my library. I haven't seen anyone else with it lit either, so it's likely a Kazade issue

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#72 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 am

IGNORE the PBA Tour Bowling issue, it seems to have corrected itself after several minutes online. Odd delay lol

EDIT: Resolved my issue with The Next Tetris. Oddly it registers as your last played game until you actually get into the main lobby (which, despite being connected, I was struggling with until recently). Now I'm challenging an unresponsive ShuBot (lol) it's picked up the game correctly. Just bear in mind you might want to relabel it "Next Tetris" on the Companion in preparation for the possibility of Sega Tetris being brought back online (It's a Japanese title, so it won't be soon, but still...)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese-Seg ... 3678034332 - A link to prove the game exists and isn't the same.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#73 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am

Roareye wrote:Hmmm. My Next Tetris Online Edition definitely doesn't light for some reason. Again, I'm using a legit disc of the game. Very strange.

Tested PBA Tour Bowling (based on the new version - https://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/pos ... amcast-now) and it's running fine, but shows me as playing PSO and the title doesn't light in my library. I haven't seen anyone else with it lit either, so it's likely a Kazade issue

I own Tetris, so i'll test it myself. That's strange because on my end, i constantly saw you as bowling.

I don't know if you saw me online or not.. (testing notifications) but i definitely saw you as bowling, the whole time.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#74 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am

Hey, I managed to resolve it. I started on Bowling, and then spent ages testing Next Tetris, and figured out the issue.

Next Tetris displays the last game you played on connection and only seems to show itself as Next Tetris once you've logged into a "Gamespy" account and entered a lobby. Dunno what changes from pre-sign in to post-sign in, but it clearly makes a difference to how the game is seen.

EDIT:: Just tested the Internet Game Pack, seems to show me as playing The Next Tetris (likely the last title I played).
While the Internet Game Pack isn't yet shown in most game lists, it is an upcoming online title (Shu is working on it at the moment) so it may be worth adding to the Companion Library in preparation.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#75 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm

It is because, they (PBA and Tetris) utilizes the same DNS lookup. But the dreampi now checks the order of how the games connects to different GameSpy servers. That is how it it knows if you are on PBA or Tetris.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#76 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Ah that explains it. Thanks Shu ^_^

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Shuouma wrote:It is because, they (PBA and Tetris) utilizes the same DNS lookup. But the dreampi now checks the order of how the games connects to different GameSpy servers. That is how it it knows if you are on PBA or Tetris.

Thanks for that clear up, Shu! Anyways, some good news is that I got notifications working in only an hour. I just had go sleep, so it took longer.

They're almost done.. Just need to fix one slight hiccup with audio volume and I'm going to add a toggle for the sound.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#78 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:52 am

Quick update:

Notifications are 100% implemented and the sound is toggle-able. I've added a few other tweaks, as well, that were on my TO DO list.

This release will be version 1.0.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#79 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:11 am

That's legendary Windows9X!

I wonder if there's a way to integrate voice chat into the Companion (not soon, but sort of as a long term plan). Playing Phantasy Star Online with people is fantastic but a little lonely, typing on the keyboard can be a pain where voice chat would make it so much better. Obviously implementing it directly through the DC would be nigh on impossible, but using the Companion to connect players might be a great alternative.

It's just an idea, I have no idea about implementation but I am offering to help research stuff. But as it stands I'm spitting out an idea only. It just seems to be a great way to get people chatting online together even in games that don't traditionally support the DC Microphone.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#80 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:42 am

Roareye wrote:That's legendary Windows9X!

I wonder if there's a way to integrate voice chat into the Companion (not soon, but sort of as a long term plan). Playing Phantasy Star Online with people is fantastic but a little lonely, typing on the keyboard can be a pain where voice chat would make it so much better. Obviously implementing it directly through the DC would be nigh on impossible, but using the Companion to connect players might be a great alternative.

It's just an idea, I have no idea about implementation but I am offering to help research stuff. But as it stands I'm spitting out an idea only. It just seems to be a great way to get people chatting online together even in games that don't traditionally support the DC Microphone.

I wish, but sadly it's just not possible. I'm a single entity, not a 'multi-person' company.

Voice chat requires bandwidth and servers; DreamPi has none of that. It's just not possible for >me< and this is why skype, discord, overtone, facebook etc exist; to chat. This is why Nintendo made a phone app for voice chat; Switch is P2P play, not server based in terms of interaction. Some Nintendo games, like Fortnite, have in-game voice, but it's handled by their servers.

Best i could do was add notifications, which i think is a good trade off considering no other service, including the official DreamPi and it's website, contain notifications/following/collection viewing etc. :) So, i tried my best to offer up something unique as well as being convenient to desktops among all platforms. ;)

Anyways, i'm finishing up; 'll bundle up the latest builds for each platform and put 1.0 on source forge, after testing.