DreamPi Desktop

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Windows9X
photon blast

Re: [Release] DreamPi Companion

Post#61 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Roareye wrote:Damn. I hate to be that guy, but my Dreampi Companion has died again.

I was trying to get Sega Swirl working, which required me to follow the connection guide on dreamcastlive seen here;
https://www.dreamcastlive.net/sega-swirl-guide.html

So I set up a new email account, allowed access etc to get everything set up. I put the dcgmail.sh file on my SD Card, logged in and followed those instructions, I then used Dreamkey 3.0 to enter the email information and saved it.
Then I logged into the internet using Dreamkey 3.0 to test the email account had been set up correctly. Dream Companion closed itself down and now won't turn itself back on.

Here's my DPP file to help you figure it out;
http://www.seganet.co.uk/Roareye.DPP

Sorry dude. It was working beautifully up until that point.

EDIT at 20:17 - It's started back up again now, I'm going to test going online again.

Not at my pc, so this isn't a full reply as I just woke up. Wait until version 5 drops. You need the latest build for all the fixes I've mentioned to be available. Previous releases still have that bug.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#62 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Roareye wrote:- Connected online on Unreal Tournament via Network Play and while it's asking me to select a server, Dreampi Companion has killed itself again
- After a minute of being offline the app started working again
- I then attempted PSO, as a stable online title, and upon dialing in the app died again.

Basically anytime the Dreampi registers that I'm online, the Companion decides to close itself down and won't turn back on until it believes I'm offline. I can use it while I'm offline, but not when my DC is connected to the net. My regular net features don't seem to be blocked as I'm playing online just fine.

Also, DreamPi Companion is just a GUI so it won't affect you actual dreampi. The latest fixes will be out sometime today, so I'd hault testing until then.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#63 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 pm

ncman071 wrote:how does it detect the pi's IP? do i need to connect dreampi to my wiireless dongle?

It's entered manually. The IP address is displayed when the DreamPi boots up however, you can also see your IP, over WIFI, by typing in 'ifconfig wlan0'.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#64 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi, all. I'm sorry for the delay of RC4_REV1, but i do come with good news.

RC4_REV1 won't be released; Instead, i'm going to go full force and just push out RC5, which will contain all of the RC4_REV1 additions and of course, every other patch thus far. If you're interested in DreamPi Companion, i implore you to wait for this release and not download RC4, unless you want to see if the software at least runs on your system.

As you can see by the many forum posts, RC4 and earlier versions have a rare but nasty little bug that prevents the app from even opening. This was due to a debug command trying to link itself to a non-existent terminal. How it got compiled in, i don't know, but it's tamed now.

Anyways, onto the good news. As i've mentioned in an earlier post, i've been thinking about a 'favorites' idea, which will allow you to 'watch' users libraries from a 'favorites' list. Roareye suggested this instead be a 'friends list' idea, and i generally agree, but not to the full extent.

It will remain favorites, but i will indeed add a notification mode, at some point; I have to figure out how i want it work, first. Currently, i have the basic framework for favorites functioning. Simply click on a user to view their library and the right hand side will have a little star icon. Clicking the star will add that player to your list and a little star emblem will be displayed on their player card. I'm still not sure if i want the favorites screen to be a player-list like mode or to just make it like the library mode, but with the ability to flip pages. We'll see.

Just an update on the progress.

Also, i want to stress that given prior posts, the fact the DreamPi Companion crashes is due to a debug command with an invalid link goal. It has nothing to do with the actual Companion software itself; It's strictly a fluke from the compile and i've fixed it. -- Companion does not affect your actual DreamPi and any display issues, unless noted by 'unsupported(xx)', is an issue on the DREAMPI side of things, not my tool. Thank you.
Last edited by Windows9X on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#65 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:12 am

Awesome news dude :D
I just want to clarify when I mentioned my Dreampi still worked I wasn't suggesting that Companion could affect it. I just wanted to note that the Dreampi and the net connection was still active.

Looking forward to REV5

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#66 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 am

DreamPi Companion RC5 is officially released. The latest and greatest companion release yet, now with favorite-functionality.

If you have an older release or you're looking to have a stable long-term version, THIS is the edition for you.

Enjoy and let me know what you guys think.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#67 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:23 am

Downloaded and testing. Love it, it's definitely improved and I love the Favourites feature!

I'm still having an issue of my official copy of The Next Tetris: On-line Edition showing as Phantasy Star Online. Is the Tetris in that menu Sega Tetris instead? There were two versions, both online. I don't own Sega Tetris, whereas I'm online in a legit US disc copy of The Next Tetris.

I've seen people with Tetris lit in their libraries (mistamontiel for example) and the only thing I can figure is that it's checking for Sega Tetris instead. Any clarification on this? (I know it's not your fault if the game is recognised incorrectly as that's all on Kazade's end, I just wanted some clarification).

Still in love with this app! And thank you for my Feedback Allstar title! ^_^

Let me know if you're after new ideas. I have a couple but as I'm literally not a coder, I don't want to be seen as sticking my nose in. This app is already way ahead of what we previously had, and I'm very grateful to you for building it :D

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#68 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:45 am

New tests;
Shutokou Battle [JP]: [WEBSITE] Shows as Phantasy Star Online (Site complete, awaiting redirect)
Shutokou Battle 2 (Tokyo Highway Challenge 2/Tokyo Xtreme 2) [JP]: [WEBSITE] Shows as Phantasy Star Online (Website not yet back online)

Just wanted to try these as Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 is on the Library, but evidently it's awaiting Kazade's redirect and the site to be completed.

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#69 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Roareye wrote:New tests;
Shutokou Battle [JP]: [WEBSITE] Shows as Phantasy Star Online (Site complete, awaiting redirect)
Shutokou Battle 2 (Tokyo Highway Challenge 2/Tokyo Xtreme 2) [JP]: [WEBSITE] Shows as Phantasy Star Online (Website not yet back online)

Just wanted to try these as Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 is on the Library, but evidently it's awaiting Kazade's redirect and the site to be completed.

For tetris, it's the next tetris online edition. I don't think the website detects Sega tetris nor have I heard of it. All the games in the tool are based off of the dreamcast live games list, excluding power smash.

You're very welcome and thanks. I'm not really sure if there's anything to add next. Maybe notifications. The only things on my to do list are:

- enter key to progress on setup
- remove the ability to favorite yourself (lol)

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#70 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:33 pm

[Redacted by user]