Line voltage inducer clarification

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CTurt
noob

Line voltage inducer clarification

Post#1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi,

I wanted to clarify some things before attempting to make a line voltage inducer.

Firstly, the number of wires in the cable - some telephone cables have 2, and others have 4. Is a certain type required, or will either work?

Secondly, the wiring itself - it seems that the wires come in pairs, but it doesn't matter which way around the pairs are connected on either side (either the same way or mirrored), in reference to this: https://superuser.com/questions/1351456 ... same-order

When it comes to adding the new components to the cable, the tutorials state to add them to the red wire (which looks like pin 3 when looking up a diagram). However, as explained above, some cables are mirrored (pin 3 for one end is pin 4 for the other). Should I rewire so that the new components are connected to pin 3 for both ends, or does this not matter? From the reference posted above it appears that it doesn't matter, but I don't know if this changes if considering the new components added.

The instructions I read explicitly state to cut the red wire, however if the order doesn't matter (each side's pin 3 is connected to the other wire), then doing either of the 2 middle wires would be the same, right? But nothing I have read mentions the connection ambiguity, and so I wanted to check.

Thanks,

kazade
Developer

Re: Line voltage inducer clarification

Post#2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Yeah I think it doesn't matter :)

TacT
Uber

Post#3 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:10 pm

That's right it doesn't really matter =) Just use either of the 2 wires in the middle, a 4 wire cable is for 2 phone lines and some even have 6 wires.

it's still thinking.

CTurt
noob

Post#4 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification! I went ahead and tried to build the circuit, but unfortunately it is not working. It’s difficult to see from this photo but here it is:

https://ibb.co/8BfDsM7

I used 3x 1000 ohm resistors connected in series to get 333 ohm resistance, and tried the capacitor both ways around (although tutorial I looked at said this didn’t matter).

I’m thinking it’s most likely a connection issue because I taped the wires together, but it would be helpful if anyone can confirm that there’s not some other glaring issue here.

Many thanks

TacT
Uber

Post#5 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:45 am

oh i see in the picture, Im not sure about those resistors in series or it looks more in parallel to me..
but anyway the positive wire from the battery needs to be connected to the positive lead of the capacitor as well.

basically you want to bridge the cut phone wire together using capacitor and then connect the power to each side of the capacitor.
also i recommend using a 9v dc power adapter instead of burning through batteries, nothing like playing a game only to lag out and disconnect cause the battery is dying. anywhere from 9v-18/20v dc should work.

BTW If you want an easier solution i make modems with an lvi built in using a 9v usb power plug =)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9753

ps: maybe the oldest picture around will help
http://www.onlineconsoles.com/content_i ... inducc.jpg

it's still thinking.