Creating my own server for online gaming?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

X86
noob

Creating my own server for online gaming?

Post#1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:30 am

I would like to know if it is at all possible to create an online server for some fighter titles on the dreamcast. Specifically CVS2,MVC2, and SSF2x/ST

From my understanding these services were managed by capcom under the name match making service.

Hopefully someone out there has an idea of the requirements necessary to get these two games online with multiplayer functions. I am considering professional server hosting services if it is possible.

Also would love to utilize the BBA rather than dial up if possible too. I know a lot of this might be a lot of work, but I still can't scale it.

Any info would be great thanks!

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Creating my own server for online gaming?

Post#2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:34 am

Setting up a server is likely the easy part, the issue is the Japanese phone system. Shuouma and others know far more than me. I can guarantee that the games can connect to websites, though you'd need to input custom URLs as the original site links are dead, but the website connection service is very different to the multiplayer set up.

Long story short you'd need to reverse engineer the games and the KWANGO/KDDI internet systems first before connecting two players online would be possible.

EDIT::
Just been trying to look up the "for matching service" online and saw someone stated the XBLA port of Street Fighter 2 is basically the same as the SC version but replaces the "Matching Service" with the more modern, user friendly Netlink service. Perhaps porting this edition to DC would make online more plausible?

X86
noob

Post#3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Researching everything you just mentioned.

I wonder if being in Japan will have an advantage.

Ty for the reply.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:57 am

I doubt being in Japan would be much advantage now, as the telephone system that they connected to was replaced over a decade ago. There might be some semblance of it left somewhere in the more rural areas, perhaps, but Japan have modernised since the Dreamcast was released just as we all have.

Again it's not an impossible barrier, and as I'm not a coder I wouldn't be able to tell you the difficulty, but it's been stated to be difficult by coders around the forums like Shuouma. If you have a good coding background, maybe get in contact with him and get a basic rundown on the reverse engineering of the games, or try to build/reverse-engineer the DWANGO/KDDI systems themselves. I'd love to help but I'd be more useless than a chocolate teapot.