Dream Library (Virtual Console)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Dream Library (Mega Drive)

Post#11 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 pm

idk, maybe. too many projects to start another. but the gdi are out there.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 am

Trust me I understand lol. I got 2 modding projects going on atm too.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#13 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 am

From what I can tell, the emulator is on the disc, as are the ROMs. The download simply tells Passport which one to point at. The site mentions downloading the games but mrneo found the bin files on the disc so the likelihood is that Sega lied on the site to prevent attempts to crack the Premier disc for the ROMs.

I believe PC Engine support was removed in Premier, so that emulator may only exist in Passport 3.

Either way it should be revivable. The key component missing was the browser telling the software which game to select, so if we can get the site online then we can try to get the emulator running properly again.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: Dream Library (Virtual Console)

Post#14 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 pm

So after examination Roareye is right about the roms and emulators being on the disc. I was able to circumvent the website and Dream library altogether to get the genesis emu working with the sgd rom files on the disc.

I just took the 1ST_READ.BIN and files from one of the game folders and made a bootable image out of it. So it just auto boots the master system emu and plays the rom in the game folder.

Seems to run at 100% speed and looks and sounds great. I used Dream Passport Premiere, the turbo grafx 16 emu is also on DPP but I don't know how to get it to select a rom without using the Dream Library interface or website.

I will link a CDI of a bootable image for proof of concept. The sega master system emu is way better than the one I tried years ago. Can't believe its just been sitting on my hard drive all these years.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t38EtN ... sp=sharing

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Awesome! Thanks for getting it to be a stand alone release! Hopefully this can lead to more accurate emulation packs. Even a simple text based menu is better than nothing now.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#16 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:32 am

-drez01- wrote:So after examination Roareye is right about the roms and emulators being on the disc. I was able to circumvent the website and Dream library altogether to get the genesis emu working with the sgd rom files on the disc.

I just took the 1ST_READ.BIN and files from one of the game folders and made a bootable image out of it. So it just auto boots the master system emu and plays the rom in the game folder.

Seems to run at 100% speed and looks and sounds great. I used Dream Passport Premiere, the turbo grafx 16 emu is also on DPP but I don't know how to get it to select a rom without using the Dream Library interface or website.

I will link a CDI of a bootable image for proof of concept. The sega master system emu is way better than the one I tried years ago. Can't believe its just been sitting on my hard drive all these years.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t38EtN ... sp=sharing

That's awesome! Glad progress is being made on the emulator side.

What do you need from the website? At the very least I can prep a game or two just as long as we know what the emulator needs. By the sounds of it we need to tell it which game to load. I'm happy to work with you to get that code right so we can get the Library fully functional again. The site is already partly available again at
http://seganet.co.uk/dricas-com/library/index.html
Bare Knuckle might work but haven't tested it on Passport yet. Passport will load the site though, you just need to connect online and access the URL input.

Liaise with me and this will be done in no time! :D

streeker
fragger

Post#17 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Actually, this is a cool thing. I kinda like the single-game functionality and presentation of this emulator :)

Then again, bad news I guess... I've just tried a "Sonic 1" ROM instead of the "Puyo Puyo" one, and the emulator obviously doesn't run it that well. It's definitely not as good/playable as on the "Smash Pack" compilation. Sound effects are also pitched too high. :(

Still, I'd like to see the PC-Engine emulator as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#18 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm

The sgd roms actually each have their own emulator on disc. The bin roms all share an emulator. I wonder if the emulators for the sgd roms are individually customized? I just tried the ghosts and goblins game and emu and seems to run 95% speed. I will take a look at linking the other roms with that site when I have some more free time

streeker
fragger

Post#19 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 pm

-drez01- wrote:The sgd roms actually each have their own emulator on disc. The bin roms all share an emulator. I wonder if the emulators for the sgd roms are individually customized?

Well, THAT is interesting. I think I'll have to take a closer look then. Perhaps it may be possible to get most of the Genesis games working correctly by just chosing the right (most fitting) emulator build.

streeker
fragger

Post#20 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I have to report, that performance/sound for "Sonic 1" is equally mediocre with each of the five "customized" SGD emulators. Furthermore they restrict gameplay to a maximum of 15 minutes :(
Last edited by streeker on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.