New to dreamcast questions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dodo1867
lithium

New to dreamcast questions

Post#1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

Hello everyone last week I purchased my first Dreamcast online it should be here on the 12 and I already plan on going on online with it I know one of the best ways to do this is with DreamPi now my question is has anyone used another type of sbc to do this? I don't mind buying a little pi zero w to do it but just curious because I had a BeagleBone black for the longest from high school without anything to do with it, would be pretty cool to give it a new life in a Dreamcast

Sega RPG

Re: New to dreamcast questions

Post#2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:11 pm

i actually do think the software is only raspberry compatible, but maybe someone here will correct me...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

It would need to be rewritten from scratch for different hardware but in therory it should be possible to make them for everythingg from the Orange Pi to LattePanda and those little HDMI stick PC's. After all, all this really is, is just the old fashioned PC-DC server but made for the Pi. Just vastly simplified for the end user. It would work with all variants of the PI out now at the time of this writing. The newer planned Pi 4 is going to supposedly be an all new architecture so not sure the original software is all going to work for the new line of them.

dodo1867
lithium

Post#4 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 pm

I see yea that what I assume pi zero it is then, was really hoping to finally find something to do with the BeagleBone I had that thing forever. thanks for the responds

dodo1867
lithium

Post#5 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Well it finally arrived and I need double checking that is an original broadband modem that is on it right their weren't any copies of those things made because I am surprised the seller didn't notice it considering how expensive those things are.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#6 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm

that's a bba.. modems say line.. sweet get..

dodo1867
lithium

Post#7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Any good how-to guides to get it online? It game with a Sega Dreamcast web browser disk that says planet web but it just gets stuck on the loading screen.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 pm

WOW nice score! Yeah since it says LAN it is either a BBA or the LAN adapter. We need more pictures of the stickers on the inside of the adapter. The LAN adapter was released only in Japan and was only good for browsing the internet, not gaming. The model numbers of these are HIT-0300.

From Sega Scream site...

Alternate Titles ドリームキャスト・LANアダプタ
Manufacturer(s) SEGA
Release Dates ?
Release Prices ? (JP)
Product IDs HIT-0300 (JP)
Barcodes ? (JP)
In Packages Dreamcast LAN Adaptr, manual, Dream Passport 2 for LAN disc

"This Dreamcast LAN Adapter is a bit of an odd accessory to collect. You can’t use it to play online games at all, only surfing the web! It was designed only to work with the “Dream Passport 2 for LAN” software included.

It used a Fujitsu MB86967 chip and supported only 10 Mbit speed instead of 100 Mbit as the standard Broadband Adapter (BBA) does.

You cannot use the official Dream Passport 2 for LAN GDROM disc on any region other than Japan and you cannot use the Dreamcast LAN adapter as intended without it.

Hackers have found an additional use in dumping Dreamcast games with the LAN adapter."

https://segascream.com/dreamcast-lan-adapter/

dodo1867
lithium

Post#9 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Here are some more photo and the documents that came with it. I didn't see a sticker on the inside tho. I got the system for 80 dollars shipped with 4 controller, 3vmu, something called a tremor pack and a nexus DC compatible memory card with pc link. Wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not at first lol.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Looks like you might have hit the mother lode! I didn't notice before but yours actually says HIT-400! So it is a legit BBA!

https://segascream.com/dreamcast-broadband-adapter/

Not all games are supported by this, so you might also look into building a DreamPi since it should play just about every game. Alternatively, if you aren't into collecting, you could sell it on eBay after you got your fun out of it to a collector for about $150 easily.

Also, as a side note, that thing you got called a tremor pack is how you get rumble from the controller, since there is no built in rumble. It is a must IMHO so nice score there.