New to dreamcast questions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: New to dreamcast questions

Post#11 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Yeh the ethernet adapter, we're drooling over it! Although dial-up I mean DreamPi plug-and-play still is truly the answer

Absolute supported every title! Have fun with us =}

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 pm

yeah.. the lol is.. now you have to get a modem if you want to play more than PSO, Quake and POD...

at least they dont go for more than 5 or 6 bucks..

dodo1867
lithium

Post#13 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 pm

wow, 150 for just one part. I already order the raspberry pi w for dreampi now I never used dial-up but is there any noticeable lag on the Dreamcast? Been considering doing the GDEMU mod to and was wondering if you can still play online with it? Also, quick question about the vmu did they ever make rechargeable battery for those things?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 pm

She sings man

Over any medium you can get down

When it comes to Quake 3 and perhaps Unreal Tournament 1 although that has not been live for eons, yeh definitely will feel it. Lead them shots real ahead of your rivals the FPS titles are rough but of course playable

Everything else nope. They were tailored to dial-up as broadband was just coming out! And for Toy Racer impressive I don't recall the story thoroughly but that would not even ship with dial-up support! But lately that just works and teleporting players do not occur!

Alien Front Online is a phenomenal dial-up experience (certainly was released late enough but no broadband support)! Eight slot 4vs4 battles (and bots to fill gaps) and with mic chat! With no hiccups to speak of!? YES and all hail the almighty Shuouma rightfully THE GOD OF SEGA!

Especially the dial-up simulator that is DreamPi is far far better than the real thing! Limitless and definitely portforwarding er much convenient DMZ'ing your Dreamcast's IP in your router is the way to be

As for the VMUs personally they're just data savers to me, not worth pumping in batteries alllllll time!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 pm

dodo1867 wrote:wow, 150 for just one part. I already order the raspberry pi w for dreampi now I never used dial-up but is there any noticeable lag on the Dreamcast? Been considering doing the GDEMU mod to and was wondering if you can still play online with it? Also, quick question about the vmu did they ever make rechargeable battery for those things?

Yes that was an extremely rare addon released at the end of the DC's life. It cost about $50 brand new and only skyrocketed in price after the system and it were discontinued.

People use the GDEMU and play online. It is a GDEMU after all, so it acts just like the GDRom drive as long as the console is concerned.

No they never made rechargeable ones, but you can buy some online which are pretty pricey already premodded with rechargeable batteries installed. I believe last I saw they were going for something like $60-70, when brand new unopened VMU's can be had in box for like $8... So um, yeah fuck all that noise haha. Best to just learn how to do the mod yourself, there is no way a VMU is worth that much money...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264184553398

dodo1867
lithium

Post#16 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks again for the information guys, just placed an order for the keyboard seems like something handy to have for it. Something I noticed about the Dreamcast community is how chill (this is a good thing lol) it is compared to the OG Xbox community those guys add 3 status led screen, modchip on top of modchip to mention a few :lol: :lol: Also found out about the Treamacast today what a cool design for the Dreamcast.