pure curiosity

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

shadow

pure curiosity

Post#1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 am

Just something that i was wondering.
Would dreampi be able to work with other things?
from what i understand, it seems like this would work with any system, not just the dreamcast, since it mostly just acts as a dial-up server, so would that mean that it would work with anything, or is there something about it that makes it only work with the sega dreamcast?

dreamcast ™
undertow

Re: pure curiosity

Post#2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Other than a few optional pieces of software, there's nothing proprietary / special about the PI that prevents you from using it with other systems. At its core, it's just a simple RAS, much like the original PC/DC setup.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm curious as well. I've heard people say it should work, but I've never heard anyone say they tried it and it worked.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Yeah it will work with anything that uses dial-up. I've actually used it with a PC to play Unreal Tournament 3 online. :lol: Believe it or not it has an option for dial-up in the settings.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

gamingtrucker1
dark night

Post#5 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm

X band?
YouTube@gamingtrucker1
Twitch@gamingtrucker1

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 pm

gamingtrucker1 wrote:X band?

No, xband dialed into a proprietary server.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 am

One day Ill try to play my Game Cube online using the DreamPi lol. The broadband adapter for the GC is very expensive!!!
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#8 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am

NeoSnk wrote:One day Ill try to play my Game Cube online using the DreamPi lol. The broadband adapter for the GC is very expensive!!!

The modem is getting expensive too. If you really want to play Gamecube games online, the cheapest option is to buy a used Wii, softmod it, and use Devolution.

shadow

Post#9 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:43 am

I plugged it into my laptop, ironically still listed as an option even in windows 10, and it now shows up above the wifi connections in the taskbar's connection list with it's own custom icon and dividing bar and everything.
for some reason, though, in order to connect, you click on the option, and it opens the settings application on the dial-up tab, clicking on the connection icon in settings expands a menu, where you then click connect, and it opens another window with the dialing settings, and then you click connect. (also sometimes this window opens beneath the settings one, making it seem like nothing happened)
but now i can browse the net at a blistering 0.04mb/s! which is for some reason way slower than xdp

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 am

349773 wrote:but now i can browse the net at a blistering 0.04mb/s! which is for some reason way slower than xdp

That's because Windows 10 has about a million things running in the background using the internet connection. :lol: Not a problem with the Dreamcast.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Return to “Online”