dreampi ip issues

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Blst34
shadow

dreampi ip issues

Post#1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 am

Hello my dreampi has a thing happening where whenever i turn it on it doesn't show the ip in the place where it is supposed to, instead it shows some numbers and letters which i think is its mac address but i am not sure. The dreampi showed its ip before but it kept changing like the end was 108 one time and 107 the next time which i don't like because i have to recheck it every time and when i try to go online on the dreamcast, on dreamcast now, it shows me as unnamed which i can't set back because i cant see my dreampi ip anymore. I think its because i turn off power where my dreampi, pc, monior ,speakers, lamp and dreamcast are connected to before i go to sleep, any ways i can get to see my dreampi ip again?

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: dreampi ip issues

Post#2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm

The Pi and Dreamcast have two different IP addresses, so the IP shown on your router page changes based on whether or not the Dreamcast is on at the same time as the Pi.

If you want the IP to put into Dreamcast Now to change your username, you'll want the Pi to be on while the Dreamcast is off.

Blst34
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:The Pi and Dreamcast have two different IP addresses, so the IP shown on your router page changes based on whether or not the Dreamcast is on at the same time as the Pi.

If you want the IP to put into Dreamcast Now to change your username, you'll want the Pi to be on while the Dreamcast is off.

No i mean the ip that the dreampi gives you when it's connected to a tv or monitor when it has fully booted up, it changed and now it doesn't show up

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Blst34 wrote:
ReaderRagfish wrote:The Pi and Dreamcast have two different IP addresses, so the IP shown on your router page changes based on whether or not the Dreamcast is on at the same time as the Pi.

No i mean the ip that the dreampi gives you when it's connected to a tv or monitor when it has fully booted up, it changed and now it doesn't show up

You could try re-flashing the dreampi 1.7 image if it was working before and now it isnt.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#5 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Most likely your router is setup to DHCP an IP address when a device is connected (this is normal). As the DreamPi turns off and on, it may acquire a new IP address from your router. If you want the DreamPi to always use a specific IP address, log into your router and go to your LAN settings. From there you should be able to set a static IP address off the MAC address your DreamPi has.

thecodygriffin
undertow

Post#6 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Is it possible that the IP address that you are now seeing is an IPv6 address rather than the IPv4 address that you are use to seeing?

Did you change any settings for the DreamPI configuration or your network?

What do you see when you run an ifconfig command?

Blst34
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:22 am

Xiden wrote:
Blst34 wrote:

You could try re-flashing the dreampi 1.7 image if it was working before and now it isnt.

It showed up again today and it was the previous ip i saw so i don't think i need to re-flash it

Blst34
shadow

Post#8 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 am

thecodygriffin wrote:Is it possible that the IP address that you are now seeing is an IPv6 address rather than the IPv4 address that you are use to seeing?

Did you change any settings for the DreamPI configuration or your network?

What do you see when you run an ifconfig command?

Could be a ipv6 but it doesn't work on dreamcast now
I only set up wifi for my dreampi
Ifconfig shows me things i don't understand but it says 0 errors on RX and TX so i think it's fine

Blst34
shadow

Post#9 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 am

Sega1Dream wrote:Most likely your router is setup to DHCP an IP address when a device is connected (this is normal). As the DreamPi turns off and on, it may acquire a new IP address from your router. If you want the DreamPi to always use a specific IP address, log into your router and go to your LAN settings. From there you should be able to set a static IP address off the MAC address your DreamPi has.
Thanks, will try later!

Miketage
noob

Post#10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm having the same issue. Just setup dreampi tonight and it works fine no connections issues but when I try to get the ip address its just a bunch of letter and numbers. It started out this way. Definitely lost here guys.